When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

help identifying a Daytona

peterpotamus

Rep unfortunately

btw i'm not here to trick you with a rep watch trying to pass as gen, i really don't know watches and as i said it was passed to me as gen.

to be honest i own a quartz tag f1 (no chrono) and a couple of swatches

i came here really to seek help identifying this watch

ps: sorry for my bad english.

I looked at that dial for a long time. I like the inverted '6' on the hour subdial and the small markers at 3-6-9. The print is good except that it is missing some from the 'P' in Superlative and the 'O' in Cosmograph. The arabic hour markers are also missing a good amount of the black paint. The bezel has wear but no sign of being gold plated.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have an independent watchmaker look at the movement- going to a Rolex dealer could be a disappointment although if it's a rep, they probably wouldn't confiscate it, but who knows.

• Like 1

I looked at that dial for a long time. I like the inverted '6' on the hour subdial and the small markers at 3-6-9. The print is good except that it is missing some from the 'P' in Superlative and the 'O' in Cosmograph. The arabic hour markers are also missing a good amount of the black paint. The bezel has wear but no sign of being gold plated.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have an independent watchmaker look at the movement- going to a Rolex dealer could be a disappointment although if it's a rep, they probably wouldn't confiscate it, but who knows.

Thanks for the insight, i'll try to locate a decent watch-smith to evaluate this one before i go to a AD.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful.

I've seen lots of these (gen) and this one is very strange. The bezel is not real there's no way. The dial is off, here is a pic of the gen dial so you can see. Band is a newer one but the watch is a ref 16523 so it should have an older band with removable end links. To think that the person spent more than the watch to put a newer band on it makes no sense. For me the biggest tell is the pinion holes they are too big and open.

post-38788-0-41748500-1351889258_thumb.j

That's ok, nobody is saying that you're joking or anything like that. I really do believe that it's not genuine. That is I'm trying to help you inform yourself on exactly what you have. It could very well be the lighting or bad pic but a gen daytona is so elegant in every way, it can't possibly look that bad no matter what camera is used. Again with the newer band it's a mystery and if you look at a few macro's of daytona dials you'll see that even the pinion holes are gorgeous...

post-38788-0-52640700-1351891435_thumb.j

post-38788-0-71395400-1351891444_thumb.j

post-38788-0-50920000-1351891453_thumb.j

post-38788-0-00842200-1351891462_thumb.j