When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"perfect" Submarineers

Filantoro

I'm thinking of gettting a "Perfect" Submarineer from Trusty/Andrew. Can anyone who has purchased this "Perfect" version comment on the perfectness of the watch? Any rolex experts who can comment is it worth paying the premium($120) for a "Perfect" Submarineer. It is 1 watch that should be in everyone's collection. Thanks.

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=796 << with extra servicing ($308)

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=256 << without the extra servicing. ($188)

Edited by Filantoro

I'm thinking of gettting a "Perfect" Submarineer from Trusty/Andrew. Can anyone who has purchased this "Perfect" version comment on the perfectness of the watch? Any rolex experts who can comment is it worth paying the premium($120) for a "Perfect" Submarineer. It is 1 watch that should be in everyone's collection. Thanks.

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=796 << with extra servicing ($308)

http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=256 << without the extra servicing. ($188)

They are the same watches. The more expensive one has a service before being sent to you.

Eta movements run pretty accurate most of the time anyway, but the service does include pressure testing I think so if that is important to you....

Either way you will love the watch :D

I'd be interested to know how much of that $120 surchage makes it into the hands of the watchsmith doing the servicing (and how much is pure profit), since automatic servicing in north america is about the same price...

My Seiko was serviced in Bangkok by the Seiko Service Centre for about $25, including replacement parts. I'd expect an ETA service would be no more than $40 if you use the right oils.

Having said that, I believe that $120 surcharge does in fact go towards much more than just the movement. Isn't there some case modding done as well?

I just received my updated LV sub from andrew. The $188 one. It's a decent piece. The band is an obvious give away. The cg's are ok but still need to be reworked. The lume sucks, the pearl is ok and on my particular piece the 12 o'clock marker is shifted a bit to the left. The cyclops is positioned correctly and the magnification seems to be correct. The SEL's are positioned above the case which I don't think is the case with the gen. They seem to sit a bit "lower" on the gen. I don't want it to sound like i'm not happy with the watch, cause I am, however they are still far from being perfect. Can fool most people when on the wrist but once it comes off the bracelet will give away the watch fairly quickly. I don't have any pictures to post but will soon. It's enjoying some wrist time now.

I just received my updated LV sub from andrew. The $188 one. It's a decent piece. The band is an obvious give away. The cg's are ok but still need to be reworked. The lume sucks, the pearl is ok and on my particular piece the 12 o'clock marker is shifted a bit to the left. The cyclops is positioned correctly and the magnification seems to be correct. The SEL's are positioned above the case which I don't think is the case with the gen. They seem to sit a bit "lower" on the gen. I don't want it to sound like i'm not happy with the watch, cause I am, however they are still far from being perfect. Can fool most people when on the wrist but once it comes off the bracelet will give away the watch fairly quickly. I don't have any pictures to post but will soon. It's enjoying some wrist time now.

I have the same watch but in the black version. Andrew also offers this watch as a "perfect" sub @ around $300. Since I don't worry about the pressure test, the $188 should serve me well. My impression is somewhat different from the above. When compared to a gen, my CGs are almost identical. The SELs are fine on my watch. The bracelet has a very well done brushed finish with a soft satin sheen which nearly matches the finish on the gen. The bracelet doesn't have the same feel as the gen and isn't as fluid in movement but the appearance is pretty close. There are several items that are a bit "off" but, that is to be expected. To my eye, this latest version Sub is the best we've seen yet. This watch is very similar to the TTK $100 Sub but with an Eta 2836 movement. Check out the review by By Tor for a good insight into the particulars of this watch.

Sounds like you got a fluke--I'd exchange it with him for another one.

I'm going on my 4th from him & have never had a problem.

Sounds like you got a fluke--I'd exchange it with him for another one.

I'm going on my 4th from him & have never had a problem.

The imperfections are so minor that its not worth sending it back. I honestly don't believe I will be wearing the sub all the time. It's just a watch that I wanted to have in my collection. For what I payed for it I believe the watch is a great value and im sure that if I told Andrew about my small issues with the watch he would gladly exchange it.

I have the same watch but in the black version. Andrew also offers this watch as a "perfect" sub @ around $300. Since I don't worry about the pressure test, the $188 should serve me well. My impression is somewhat different from the above. When compared to a gen, my CGs are almost identical. The SELs are fine on my watch. The bracelet has a very well done brushed finish with a soft satin sheen which nearly matches the finish on the gen. The bracelet doesn't have the same feel as the gen and isn't as fluid in movement but the appearance is pretty close. There are several items that are a bit "off" but, that is to be expected. To my eye, this latest version Sub is the best we've seen yet. This watch is very similar to the TTK $100 Sub but with an Eta 2836 movement. Check out the review by By Tor for a good insight into the particulars of this watch.

Is the ETA movement used in this watch show the smoothness in the movement of the seconds hand? Similar smoothness as compared to the gen? This is a subjective question as 1 man's smoothness is another man's poison. ;)

Is the ETA movement used in this watch show the smoothness in the movement of the seconds hand? Similar smoothness as compared to the gen? This is a subjective question as 1 man's smoothness is another man's poison. ;)

The ETA 2836 is a good operating movement. The second hand moves with a smooth sweep. I have a gen date-just and there is little difference in the sweep of the second hand.

The ETA 2836 is a good operating movement. The second hand moves with a smooth sweep. I have a gen date-just and there is little difference in the sweep of the second hand.

My colleague can spot a fake from the real thing just by looking at the movement. That's where I gotta ensure that it's almost there. He freaky sometimes...

My colleague can spot a fake from the real thing just by looking at the movement. That's where I gotta ensure that it's almost there. He freaky sometimes...

I had to read the above reply a couple of times before I understood what he meant. At first I thought "heck... how many of us would have a hard time distinguishing a fake Rolex "just by looking at the movement"?

Most gen-inexperienced people think that the gen second hand sweeps completely smoothly with absolutely no stutter, which is wholy untrue. Eta movement second hand sweep is almost exact in appearance to the gen. I'm not totally sure how the movement's beat (BPH) directly correlates to the tick-count on the second hand itself, but my Eta 2836-2 sitting next to my '96 gen looks identical. The second hands do have a modicum of stutter as they sweep, but it looked like they're both about 4-6 "ticks" per second.

Your friend is probably thinking in terms of the old reps, which either ticked one per sec (because they were quartz), or the old Asian autos that only ticked twice per sec. An easy spot.

Edited by gioarmani