When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Tale Of Two Watches

Guest TTK

Well, took the day off and went swimming....and a trip to the gym....sauna and turkish baths......so thought I'd see how my 187 and a 16610 would fare in the different environments......here's the results.

16610 Submariner

Swimming and diving in 4 metre pool.......NO PROBLEM..... :D

Hot plunge pool..........NO PROBLEM.....:D

Cold plunge pool.......NO PROBLEM.......:D

Dry sauna room........NO PROBLEM.......:D

Turkish steam room....NO PROBLEM........:D

187 Panerai Chronograph

Turkish steam room.......BIG PROBLEM........ :wounded1:

$100 VS $300........hmmmm...... :g:

149966-14933.jpg

Well, took the day off and went swimming....and a trip to the gym....sauna and turkish baths......so thought I'd see how my 187 and a 16610 would fare in the different environments......here's the results.

16610 Submariner

Turkish steam room....NO PROBLEM........:D

187 Panerai Chronograph

Turkish steam room.......BIG PROBLEM........ :wounded1:

$100 VS $300........hmmmm...... :g:

149968-14932.jpg

Holy Shnickies Batman! Better crack that case quick and let it dry out.

In all fairness.....the Panerai has been opened a number of times.....so it's entirely possible that I've 'pinched' the gasket...or it's not seated properly......but I was MIGHTILY impressed by the 'noobmariner'.....especially with the wide temperature variances...coming from sauna or turkish into a VERY cold plunge pool......!

In all fairness.....the Panerai has been opened a number of times.....so it's entirely possible that I've 'pinched' the gasket...or it's not seated properly......but I was MIGHTILY impressed by the 'noobmariner'.....especially with the wide temperature variances...coming from sauna or turkish into a VERY cold plunge pool......!

There's a reason why they call it a Rolex...

Now I know I'd gotta get that "Perfect" Submarineer... :p

Your results are consistent with what I find on reps in general. They all tend to be "waterproof" for swimming purposes but the minute you go into a true steam shower or steam room they fog up. PAM's are just too big with too many places for steam to creep in. By the way I find that too be true on gens. Steam is the killer, not ordinary temperature water. That Noobmariner is impressive though. :)

The problem comes from a gasket, but as it only appeared in a hot environment, not in a cold environment (even if at higher pressure) or warm environment ('hot' plunge pool), it's unlikely coming from a pinched gasket.

More likely, the gasket does not compensate for the metal dilatation with heat.

Possibly an old gasket that lost its elasticity, or (even more likely) not properly sealed with silicon grease one of the times that the watch has been opened and closed?

Just my 0.02.

That is discouraging. I have a Green sub and it is a nice looking watch there is no doubt about that but I have not worn it 2 times in the past year. It has the absolute nicest feel when I turn the crown, give it a few winds and set the time. Better than any other watch I have. Yet, there it sets. Glad to know that it can take a licking and keeps on ticking.

On the other hand, my 187 I got from Neil, I will definitely get it checked out before committing it to the water.

Usil

That is discouraging. I have a Green sub and it is a nice looking watch there is no doubt about that but I have not worn it 2 times in the past year. It has the absolute nicest feel when I turn the crown, give it a few winds and set the time. Better than any other watch I have. Yet, there it sets. Glad to know that it can take a licking and keeps on ticking.

On the other hand, my 187 I got from Neil, I will definitely get it checked out before committing it to the water.

Usil

It doesn't mean that because Neil's SUb passed the test and the 187 failed this is the case with all the similar watches.

151620-14662.jpg

151620-14663.jpg