When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thoughts on payment options

sebvad

Some of the dealers i'm conversing with are indicating their paypal account has been suspended, and are suggesting i use Western Union. Now, this seems to have a certain amount of downside risk associated with it; with PP or Visa, there are dispute resolution services available - with WU i'm concerned a deal (no one in particular) may simply be tempted to receive the transfer and not provide the goods.

Valid concern? is it a warning flag if the dealer is only suggesting WU and no other options? or is WU pretty standard in these parts?

The biggest issue with WU for me is the costs.

For the dealer it is secure - once they have your money, they have your money - there's no chargeback like there is with Visa or PayPal.

I've never understood how PayPal protects us buying reps - don't they just walk away once one or other party tells them what the payment was for?

I have recently paid a TD by bank transfer using an online IBAN service - costs were less than WU and the TD knocked 8% off.

sebvad not about dealer persay somebody might have reported them to PP over a trifle. That being said I only use dealers with PP ,but that is just me. Trusty Time has most everything a little more sometimes but you get piece of mind , Supermirrors also PP limited in selection but great prices in my experience.

People have to face the fact that this business has changed and it is the people that use PP as a way to force the result they want that has changed it.

These forums are the best tools a member has if they have been treated unfairly by a dealer, most of the members that lodge PP disputes however will not bring the dispute to the board because they already know they are being unreasonable.

The downside for the vast majority is that PP is quickly disappearing as a buying option but the dealers do need to protect themselves too they are not in the business of giving away free watches every time someone says "The black on the dial is .0001 of a shade darker that the QC pic"

Ken

I bought my first ever rep, before finding this forum, using WU and had no issues... I'm not normally one to champion the trusted dealers, but in this instance, I must say, that if someone doesn't trust the dealer enough to use WU, they have no business ordering from them. Dealers are here for a reason: Business. They aren't going to risk that opportunity, just to screw someone over for a few hundred $$s... WU + Trusted Dealers = Results all round :good::drinks:

All lthings considered, I would use WU for a watch from a trusted dealer, but you are correct, WU is a no recourse money transfer system, period! Once you hit send, it's gone. The biggest problem with WU is the cost. they are prohibitive. you might pay 40-50 dollars to transfer 400-500 USD. MoneyGram is a little cheaper, but not much.

Idiots with unrealistic expectations and the inability to wait a reasonable amount of time for their goods are the reason so many dealers are having problems with PayPal.A couple of disputes filed, and the account is suspended, funds frozen and ultimately cancelled. Paypal is a private business, they make the rules, and you play by them or you are out.

• Like 1

I've used WU a number of times, with Connie Kingwatch.

I think I paid only about $15 to send $350, and Connie gave me a discount that more than made up for the $15.

I would only use WU with dealers i KNOW will give me impeccable after-purchase service.

Only thing that struck me was counting out all those 20 dollar bills, made me realize how expensive our reps have gotten.

PayPal are a bit of a pita and their fees are huge. I also know some modders who have received tax bills based on pp transactions!

WU also charge huge fees

A while back I joined moneybookers as one supplier had his pp account frozen: I found it excellent with fees a fraction of what pp & WU charge.