When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW case info...

automatico

I have a few DW cases, 5513 and 1680 and I ordered Clark's bezel assemblies for them because of the goofy crystal that comes on DW cases plus the spring wire bezel.

I am no better off.

Why?

Because all the DW case necks are too small...every one of of them, and an oem spec or genuine crystal will not work.

DW case neck...28.06 to 26.08mm.

Genuine case neck...28.17 to 28.20mm.

Later MBK case neck...28.20mm (on two 1680 cases).

What happens when using the DW case and Clark's or oem spec crystal retainer ring?

The crystal is loose on the case neck and a genuine or oem spec (Clark's for example) crystal retainer will not clamp the crystal tight enough to seal (or stay on the watch if it gets bumped).

What is the fix?

There is none unless you have another inner bezel made to clamp the oem spec crystal tighter.

What am I going to do?

Probably use the Paul/Abay cases I have with Clark's bezel kits because they have the correct 28.2mm crystal neck. They are very close to MBK on the outside except for details...dial window size, crown guards, gasket in the case instead of caseback, no gasket under the crystal retainer etc.

The Paul/Abay cases will work fine with Eta movements where the later MBK 1680 cases I have are closer to accepting a rolex spec 5512/13 dial and 1520/1570 no date movement. Both MBK 1680 cases originally came with Eta 2836 movements.

Any 'free' advice?

Buy a case that will at least accept an oem spec crystal and use a Clark's etc bezel kit if the one that came with the watch will not work.

What am I going to do?

Probably use the Paul/Abay cases I have with Clark's bezel kits because they have the correct 28.2mm crystal neck. They are very close to MBK on the outside except for details...dial window size, crown guards, gasket in the case instead of caseback, no gasket under the crystal retainer etc.

The Paul/Abay cases will work fine with Eta movements where the later MBK 1680 cases I have are closer to accepting a rolex spec 5512/13 dial and 1520/1570 no date movement. Both MBK 1680 cases originally came with Eta 2836 movements.

Any 'free' advice?

Buy a case that will at least accept an oem spec crystal and use a Clark's etc bezel kit if the one that came with the watch will not work.

The old "el cheapo' Josh subs will accept a gen crystal- then the only drawback is the stubby cg's- but if you straighten them up a bit, you might be ok

http://www.1-pc8838.com/rlsv01106-vintage-5513-date-submariner-asia-2813-28800-best-p-9667.html

Otherwise, you could try an Angus case since you're using a Clark's bezel assembly- my 1665 took a GS crystal and a custom jmb retaining ring (this was before the Clark's assembly came out).

And like Freddy says, there's always the MBW, but they aren't cheap!

I bought a DW 1680 case and it has been a pain so far. I was able to fit a tropic 19 and a clarks 5513 bezel assembly on it in hopes of making a 5513 while I was waiting on the tube to arrive from yuki. When it arrived I discoverd the case was drilled crooked so the tube did not fit right. Like automatico said "you win some and you loose some" with these cases.

The old "el cheapo' Josh subs will accept a gen crystal- then the only drawback is the stubby cg's- but if you straighten them up a bit, you might be ok

http://www.1-pc8838....est-p-9667.html

Otherwise, you could try an Angus case since you're using a Clark's bezel assembly- my 1665 took a GS crystal and a custom jmb retaining ring (this was before the Clark's assembly came out).

And like Freddy says, there's always the MBW, but they aren't cheap!

thought some members found new batches to not have a gen like assembly any longer (?)

My DW 5513/1680 cases are nowhere close to oem specs but they have good casebacks although the gasket groove looked to be a bit shallow. I might make a plain bezel to work with a domed 19 crystal and put a fantasy watch of some sort together using one of the cases and see how it goes. Maybe put an eta with a sterile dial in it with an unsigned 7mm crown from J Borel.

I also noticed a genuine or oem spec case tube was a wobbly fit.

They sure are pretty though. :crazy: