When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1660 Dial on eBay: fake or Gen?

zaza

A power seller on eBay with 100% feedback is offering the following "Original" 16660 ROLEX Dial for sale: Item no. 140890572101

Do you guys think this is normal? Follow the Arrows.

inputs are quite appreciated!

fake-or-gen.jpg

Edited by zaza

those surrounds look awfully thick for a genuine. Rolex white gold is thinner and more refined, i would say it's not genuine, at least the hour indices aren't. Also there's something wonky about the SWISS T<25 ?

You're right Pam.. the markers rims are bulkier than average.. It doesn't look quite genuine to me..

Edited by zaza

Not a rolex expert by any means however why would the marker cover the SWISS T<25? Also Should the crown be directly abouve the L in ROLEX?

Yep! That was exactly my point.. 

Also, why are the hour rims touching the rail?! It's so weird.. I wonder if the Seller is aware of these faults.. 

and doesn't that font color seem too fresh and white to be from the 80s? 

Dan, the crown position is not too far off,could be a dial variation .Here is another tell, look at the minute markers.On both of the genuine dials (photos from theRolex Forum) the hour markers do not touch the surrounds, on the Ebay dial they do. Plus the TRF dials are crisper and the SWISS T <25 is better positioned below the 6 indices. I believe that this is a redial on a genuine blank. Another thing look at the date window in relation to the 2 and 4 surrounds. If you drop a straight line from the middle of the 2 to the middle of the 4, it bisects the date windowslightly to the right of the center of the Datewheel.On the Ebay dial the bisecting line is further to the right.

Having said all thia, this could be a dial variation that is different than the two I have pictured, but it just appears to be too fuzzy and lacks the crispness that Rolex dials are noted for.

post-327-0-41909300-1354149890_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-82226500-1354149893_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure if its gen or not but I know that whoever lume that sucker had to be drunk, nick all over the markers and looks kind of lumpy in some spots.

LOL :bangin:

But why is the "S" in Swiss hiding under the Baton? How could this even happen..

I offered him $600 and he took it immediately! Then I was closely examining it.. when I began to discover all these faults..

I'm retracting my offer.. I don't feel comfortable with this..

Thank you gentlemen!

Edited by zaza

Not sure if its gen or not but I know that whoever lume that sucker had to be drunk, nick all over the markers and looks kind of lumpy in some spots.

You're correct that is a really amateurish lume attempt. It's a poor dial at best, and sure not worth 600 USD. I've seen better dials than this for 60 Dollars.

looking at the lume again, I have never seen a genuine lume that is within the white gold surrounds that has that "muffin top" rounded look. Very common and correct in older dials before the surrounds were used. All the WG surround dials that I have seen have lume that is flat on top, like the lume was poured in and settled out level.

Keep looking , if you have 600 dollars to spend, you should be able to get a lot better dial than this.

• Like 1

Most likely refinished. Could have been relumed years ago buy some small dial refinisher. Of course the back should have numbers on it, if not, for sure rep. If so, could have started out as something other than a sea dweller. Certainly not an original finished sea deweller, which would make it easily worth 600.00 and more.