When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Help Fixing My Smp Perl

tonibari

The Perl on my SMP is way off. Not only is the Perl all the way in the bezel, it is also slanted to the left. So I plan on working on it during Thanksgiving to make it look more authentic. So before I destroy my nice watch I would like some input from the more seasoned members of this board.

First I’ll pull of the bezel, following the instructions from By-Tor for modding the SMP. I’m not sure how hard it will be to loosen the Perl from the bezel, but first I’ll try a hair dryer to heat up the glue holding the Perl (assuming that the Perl is glued in place). If this doesn’t work I’ll use a heat gun and for sure loosen things up.

Once I have the Perl out I’ll try to raise the opening for the Perl a little with a thin layer of epoxy, just enough to have the edges of the Perl over the bezel. Then I’ll reattach the Perl again with rubber cement.

Last I plan on scrapping some of the lume out since it is right to the edge with a scalpel. How does my plan sound? Is there an easier way I missed (like buying a Perl with out getting a new bezel)?

I attached a picture of the looks of the Perl right now. Thanks for any input you all can give me.

Toni

post-3446-1163918899_thumb.jpg

May or may not work. Depends if you can get the pearl off in this manner. They are delicate and I tried to get one off once and destroyed it in the process. However, I did fix it by making a new pearl using some clear 2-step plastic and some hobby 'glow-stuff'. It worked out well and I may do it again if I ever get some correct lume.

Usil

May or may not work. Depends if you can get the pearl off in this manner. They are delicate and I tried to get one off once and destroyed it in the process. However, I did fix it by making a new pearl using some clear 2-step plastic and some hobby 'glow-stuff'. It worked out well and I may do it again if I ever get some correct lume.

Usil

Usil:

Can you give me a little more info on what kind of plastic you used and how you shaped and collerd it to fit the watch?

Thank you

Since my pearl cracked when I whacked it agains a door jam, using a loop, I careful removed the other bits and pieces in the pearl hole on the bezel. The 2-part clear plastic is the type you can buy in any hobby store for making acrylic artsy-fartsy stuff. I used a product that was just called Crystal resin. You mix the resin and a hardener together much like epoxy. Stuff dries clear and hard.

I have no idea what yours will look like but on my 187 the hole was just like a little well. I used a hobby 'glow paint' - also bought at a hobby store and filled the bottom and let dry. Then I mixed the crystal resin (only needed about 3 ml of it) and again using a loop, carefully deposited the resin into the hole using the end of a tooth pick. You have to be careful that you only use just enough to fill the small hole without overflowing onto the bezel - which is why you need a loop.

On the 187 the well is flat so I was done after it dryed and set hard. Since the resin is clear, the lum color and glow come through without issues. If you need the little domed top, this can be done too with careful depositing just a dab on top of the dried flat part already set up.

All of this worked well and I wish I had bought the right lum instead of the cheep stuff from the hobby store but based on the poor rep lum, it lasts about the same so no loss.

Hope this helps. It is all trial and error and depends on how much you want to play around with your reps. This is a hobby for me so this was in line with hobbiest projects.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Does it fit for the new SMP chrono also?

I'm tempted to replace the bezel in my incoming new watch..

Congrats on your fine taste in watches (i have that one too as you know).

Don`t start ordering inserts before you have that one in your hands cause i thougt it was ok as it was.

Congrats on your fine taste in watches (i have that one too as you know).

Don`t start ordering inserts before you have that one in your hands cause i thougt it was ok as it was.

I'm a bit worried about the pearl misalignment that's why i was considering a genuine bezel insert.

Thanks retep :p

Retep's insert is way too purplish.. I too ordered one a time ago. The one you have now is more accurate when it comes to the right blue colour......

Do you think so? I`ve hold it against the real deal and it was the same. Maybe 2 different badges?

• 2 weeks later...
Retep's insert is way too purplish.. I too ordered one a time ago. The one you have now is more accurate when it comes to the right blue colour......

Just received the bezel yesterday, very slow shipping and I must have gotten a bad one also. The bezel is gray purple. I have e-mailed them to find out if they have any in a more blueish shade.

Toni

how about this one

here

anyone bought from this seller?? and is the bezel insert any good??

I've dealt with him before, only on movements and hands though not inserts.

Not really convinced about the flash glare over the pearl :brow: but regardless most other aftermarket inserts always fall down on the quality and appearance of the pearl, Omega or Rolex, it's always the same damn issue. :angry:

I'm still looking for decent pearl or fix or gen insert for my 45 PO. The closest I've seen ironically is the pearl on the TWG/Joshua's new 'ultimate PO' but fgate conspires once again and they have no spare inserts in 45mm spec. :(