When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

rolex 1520/70 into MBW/MBK case...

automatico

I just now tried a rolex 1570 with a Yuki 5512 dial into two MBW/MBK cases...a 5513 case #L342386 from Freddy and a late MBW/MBK 1680 case #L342301 from Reg.

1...Both cases are identical in all measurements and were made to accept Eta 2836 movements.

2...Both dial window openings are 25.5mm.

3...The stem lines up Ok in the approximate center of the case tube.

4...The movement is just a little bit loose in the case on the sides but it is Ok after the movement is tight in the case. Might put a shim (strip of feeler gauge etc) between the movement and case to prevent dial scuffing from the movement sliding side to side when the crown is pulled into setting position.

5...The original washer head rolex movement clamp screws are too short and will screw almost all the way out before the movement is tight in the case. Longer screws or screws with thicker heads are needed.

6...I did not try a date movement but date movements are a little thicker because of the calendar spacer and the stem would be too far toward the back of the case and the stem would be in a bind. I have read about 1575 date movements in MBW cases but they might have been earlier cases and could be different internally.

7...Machining the dial seat deeper into the case and cutting the case clamp screw groove deeper to install a date movement might not be a good move because when you cut into the dial seat to lower the movement, the reflector ring area (rehaut) would be reduced and may become too thin.

I have a 1575 with the original 1680 dial on it so I will try it in a few days. 

It would be nice if it would work in the MBW/MBK case.

Same old deal- the gen 1680 dial is 26.5mm and won't fit in the MBW case (which is really a 5513 case). MBW 1680 dials are 26.2mm so they will fit in the MBW case.

Dilemma still is how do you trim the 1680 gen or good aftermarket dial down .3mm or enlarge the 5513 case to accept the 26.5mm dial (metal shop lathe).

"Same old deal- the gen 1680 dial is 26.5mm and won't fit in the MBW case (which is really a 5513 case). MBW 1680 dials are 26.2mm so they will fit in the MBW case.

Dilemma still is how do you trim the 1680 gen or good aftermarket dial down .3mm or enlarge the 5513 case to accept the 26.5mm dial (metal shop lathe)."

Yep.

I tried the 1575 with genuine 1680 dial in my MBW/MBK 5513 and 1680 cases just now and the movement/dial will not lay flat in the case because the dial will not sit down all the way into the dial seat. There is a small shoulder cut into the dial seat but it is not wide enough to accept the 1680 dial. I could cut the dial seat to accomodate the dial but it is really not worth the trouble to me as the 1575 with 1680 dial fits just fine in my DW 1680 case. After I go to the trouble to cut the dial seat to accept the 1680 dial, the stem still may not line up just right in the ct...I do not know.

The only problem I have with DW cases is the smaller than oem spec crystal neck and spring wire bezel. I left them both on this 1680 case so everything fits fine. I am installing a TC case tube and crown into the DW case and as soon as I come up with a gasket of some sort to fit between the case tube and case, it will be done. The cut made below the ct threads for a gasket in the DW case is not big enough in diameter to accept an oem gasket/ct combo.

An oem spec ct has a shoulder made on it to mount against the gasket in the case and if you use an oem spec ct with a DW case...the crown will sit too far from the case when screwed down. Since the TC case has a flat mounting surface, all I need is to come up with a gasket of some sort.

A genuine crown will screw down onto the TC case tube just fine but since the TC ct has a flat mounting surface, the crown may screw down against the case without a proper spacer/gasket of some sort between the ct and case.

The TC case tube and crown are very high quality btw.

Tried fitting a couple mvt/dial combos again...here is the deal:

A 1520 with 26.0mm 5513 dial will not work in a late MBK 5513/1680 case because when the movement and dial are mounted in the case...the stem is too far to the front and binds in the movement when trying to screw the crown down.

A fix? Maybe find/make a spacer of some sort to go between the dial seat in the case and the dial. The movement clamping screws will probably still work with this spacer installed.

Putting a spacer between the dial and movement would make the dial feet too short and the hour wheel and cp to be too low. A thinned down 1575 calendar spacer and 1575 hour wheel and cp on a 1520/70 no date movement would probably work Ok except the dial feet will still be too short. The dial screws may not tighten up on the dial feet but as long as the dial feet are started in the holes in the movement, the case clamp screws would hold the dial in place.

Both options are viable with the thinned down calendar spacer + hw, cp etc not showing between the dial and case window making it a bit more 'official'. :pimp:

A genuine/genuine spec case tube will fit this case using a genuine 'case tube to case' gasket. 

A 1575 with genuine 1680 dial will not mount in the case without machining the dial seat in the case. The stem lines up Ok in the case tube but the movement clamping screws will not fit into the groove cut in the case. I tried knife edged screws and they would not fit either...not enough room

This is a lost cause imho...probably better to go with Etas in these cases.

Correction to post #6:

"Since the TC case has a flat mounting surface, all I need is to come up with a gasket of some sort.

Should be TC case tube.

I found a small rubber O ring that worked Ok.