When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with a trade problem (not on this forum)

nwolf1716

Hey, 

I recently put up one of genuine watches for trade on the the gen forums out there, and I got an offer from a guy in France, I am located in the US so I was hesitant at first, but after a lot of email communications we worked out a deal, my watch for his watch + cash.  I sent my watch via USPS global express guaranteed, and tracking shows it was delivered to a different city, so I was very nervous, as was the other guy.  So we talked via email and he was very adamant about me not starting a thread in the forum we did the trade, which seemed off, since he was accusing me of scamming him, if anything it should have been me that was worried about the bad press on the forums, since according to him, I had scammed him (Now it feels like he scammed me). Anyway, he sent his package via Chronopost and told me it would be here by Wednesday, which it wasn't and it is now Sunday and still no package, I also have not heard from the guy in 4 days now, after many attempts of emails.  I am starting to think that I am the one that is getting ripped off, not only does he owe me money but I have not received the watch yet either.  Something just seems off but I don't want to escalate the issue just in case his watch is in fact on the way and Chronopost is just very slow, also there is no real way for me to verify that he did/didnt get the watch, since it says it was delivered, and by the lack of communication in that last few days it feels like he did get it.  Basically I'll be content if I just receive his watch and not the cash, because at least that way I am not out 3k just 1k, since my watch was worth about 3k and his was worth about 2k. 

I guess I started this thread for a few reasons:

1. Has anyone used Chronopost to ship from France to the USA?  If so, how reliable is it?

2. Should I file an insurance claim on my USPS package, that he claims he did not receive?

3. Any other suggestions on what to do?

I guess I have learned my lesson about trading with people overseas, especially with so much money at stake.  

Thanks for any help

Yeah, I am not sure if it was delivered to the wrong city or just a sort facility where the USPS drops off the packages to then be delivered by another courier system in France.  It says it was delivered in Le Mans (not the city he lives in) which has a sort facility and I know the package he sent me also came through the Le Mans sort facility.

Here is a screen shot of the tracking information:

post-36083-0-92797500-1359315646_thumb.p 

No I didn't get the cash, it was supposed to come right after he got the watch.  This was my first trade that was not just a straight trade or just in the US.

Hopefully everything works out though, I figured that Chronopost was just really slow, so I am hoping at least receive his watch if nothing else.

Chronopost are the worst, WORST deliver service you could imagine. The guys delivering don't give a [censored] about your items, sometimes they just let the packages in the bar or pub next to your house without any notice, they dont leave anything.....

The last 3 times I had to wait for them, was a real nightmare!!

I will never ever use their services again!

Oh [censored] that doesn't sound good. Do you know if they deliver themselves in the US or do they use usps or FedEx or something like that?
Did you always get your packages?

Here is the latest tracking info from Chronopost, I am not worried yet since it was updated on Wednesday:

post-36083-0-38626700-1359318197_thumb.p

Edited by nwolf1716

From the look of your pacakge sent..He needs to arrange a customs payment...the city is the nearest depot to his address..he will be sent a letter confirming payment required which can be made in person or by phone etc that way they deliver it or he collects it...

I would contact USPS for info as they usually have more info on thier screens than you see on the public site....

Also you can check the tracking system on the French postal site

I buy and sell records. Dealing with French postal system is something I completely avoid after too many packages not arriving. Italy is also as bad. Sorry I can't be more positive. You probably should wait another week though.

Yeah I am going to give it at least another week after hearing bad Chronopost is and how slow they are. Sounds like it should show up but who knows when, I am more worried about the other guy not communicating with me either, not a good sign in my book, but I'll give it some more time as well, also the package i sent doesn't have any tracking info on the French Postal Site, but I'll call USPS tomorrow and figure it out.

Does anyone know how Chronopost delivers in the US?  

Yeah so USPS confirms that they are awaiting payment from him, but USPS doesn't and wont know if he pays since their tracking part is done and the French Post doesn't have any info online yet.  My biggest concern is that he does have or will have the watch and has not responded to my emails for the last week now, it doesn't feel like I am going to get my cash and apparently Chronopost is very unreliable, I may not get the watch either. I may be completely out of luck, but I guess I did learn a couple valuable lessons in this whole ordeal.  I am still holding out hope that my watch will show up sometime!!

Thanks for all the help guys