When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! I think I may have a problem

monga

Ok so they say the first step is admiting you have a problem...Well I have a problem.

It all started with this, My fathers' oysterdate 1500 given to me on my 21st birthday:

IMG_3795_zpse3bf0717.jpg

then a couple of years later It took his old Omega and had it serviced:

IMG_3796_zpsc21977db.jpg

Then I bought this on sale a year ago, along with some Combat straps from aaron. (they fit on another watch too, but I'll get to that)

IMG_3797_zps4d988990.jpg

Then I found this site, and something else to use those straps with, I got it along with a Milgauss GV rep that I broke :( then sold 

IMG_3798_zps2636180c.jpg

Then It was time for another Gen watch IWC Portofino

IMG_3799_zps3995e2b7.jpg

Then these two AND an Expo 2 42mm that's currently with Vac getting relumed and serviced (Crazy I know 3 at once!) 

IMG_3801_zps138e2cdd.jpg

Then time for another gen, this time a Longines legend diver no date:

IMG_3803_zps67b7494b.jpg

I missed the broken Milgauss GV, but was never happy with the crystal not really being green, so I did the next best thing and got a black dial one:

IMG_3800_zps2d8f5cc2.jpg

Just the other day I got this, TC's Sub V-series (version IV) and added a Gen insert.

IMG_3802_zps523987a7.jpg

Oh, and I have WAY too many NATO straps (not even all of them in the pic)

IMG_3805_zpsb0411637.jpg

And of course you need a place to put them all and keep (most of) them ticking:

IMG_3808_zps7d1a551a.jpg

When you look at them all together you realize you mignt need to seek professonal help!

IMG_3809_zps51b88963.jpg

So what does everyone think? Is it Intervention time, or am I OK?

As long as it's disposable income, and your family isn't going hungry, everything is fine. LOL And if you're really lucky, you're single with a great job, and you can afford to indulge your little fantasies to your hearts content. 

A couple of years ago, I made a rule, no more than 10 watches, if it got to 10 then I had to sell one to get one. Well, that lasted about 6 months. Crazy rule, sort of like New Years resolutions, made to be broken. At last count I have 13 genuine and 6 reps, so I'm 9 over my limit!!

Biggest problem I see is sometimes we let our "Accumulation" get out of control. It's not really a collection, because we are buying with no rhyme or reason. That's where I was a couple of years ago. I had watches that were stuck back in  watch boxes in my safe that hadn't seen the light of day for several years. I  decided that if a watch wasn't at least in an occasional rotation, it had to go, and a few went.

My genuine collection is fairly diverse, but they are all wearers.My main love is vintage Rolex/Tudor, so there are a a couple of vintage genuines, plus a 2000 model 16610(which will be vintage in a few years!!) My rep collection is confined to vintage Rolex and Tudors. My problem is everytime I think I 'm done, I see something else that I just gotta have. I'm a sucker for projects as well.  i can't stand to have one that I feel like can be made better, and I do nothing. I have 4 of my 19 with modders right now attempting to make them better reps.

Good luck, this is a terrible addiction!! :crazy:

LOL And if you're really lucky, you're single with a great job, and you can afford to indulge your little fantasies to your hearts content.  :
If only...my wife doesn't really understand. She does love her gen stainless ladies datejust. It was her 30th bday present. She tries. Got me two of my watch winders, but I think she is starting to notice the "collection". She asked me the other day hou much those NATO straps cost. I said around $8 or $10 each, she said you have like 12 of them! That's at least $100! Then I reminded her she had 7 pairs of UGG boots...argument over ;)

yes i think you might have a problem there.. you lack a plain black NATO strap, how could you? :D

Nice collection there! :drinks:

Thank you, and there is a black NATO in there. Look closely in the upper right of the group shot of all the watches and straps.

you ask people here but most of them are bigger addicts themselves =). but i sold all reps years ago and didnt buy any since then

my advice just by looking at it:

try to sell all watches except the omega and rolex datejust (only ones with sentimental value) and spend the money on something has a better cause than addiction and money sink. like something can improve the quality of your life. control and balance is power.

• Like 1