When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How long have you held onto a part waiting for a project

HartDoc

I have had genuine case, hands, dial, etc for an Omega Speedmaster for about 5yrs now. I just need the movement. For a while, a complete watch was cheaper, but prices of new watches shot up about a year or more ago, and used prices with them. To top it off, with The Zigmeister's pending retirement, I'm not sure who I will get to assemble it when the time comes.

I have had genuine case, hands, dial, etc for an Omega Speedmaster for about 5yrs now. I just need the movement. For a while, a complete watch was cheaper, but prices of new watches shot up about a year or more ago, and used prices with them. To top it off, with Ziggy's pending retirement, I'm not sure who I will get to assemble it when the time comes.

May be speaking out of school, but I believe he is still going to work on genuine watches, so if yours is all genuine may work. Another thing, there are a few really good folks around now that have a lot of experience and are doing some very nice work. the only thing I'm looking for is some of these guys developing really good luming skills.

May be speaking out of school, but I believe he is still going to work on genuine watches, so if yours is all genuine may work. Another thing, there are a few really good folks around now that have a lot of experience and are doing some very nice work. the only thing I'm looking for is some of these guys developing really good luming skills.

From my correspondence with him, I believe he is retiring completely later this year. I think I have 1 more gen that could use service this year.

I have a gen maxi dial and a gen insert waiting on a rep 3135 movement to put it in so I wouldnt have to cut off the feet. I had these parts for two years.

No sadly I don't think I'll get a chance to use them.

So how long have you had a part waiting on a project.  

Why don't you just buy a Yuki 3135 and get the project finished?  It sounds like that his the better 3135 clone...

I have had genuine case, hands, dial, etc for an Omega Speedmaster for about 5yrs now. I just need the movement. For a while, a complete watch was cheaper, but prices of new watches shot up about a year or more ago, and used prices with them. To top it off, with The Zigmeister's pending retirement, I'm not sure who I will get to assemble it when the time comes.

I used a Tissot Lemania movement from an older PR 516 for my gen build.  If you are lucky, you can find the whole watch for under $500.  In most cases, buying the whole watch is cheaper than buying an gen Omega movement.  If the Tissot movement bridge bothers you that much, have a closed case back or switch the bridge out with a gen Omega bridge.  It should be a direct fit.

Edited by ChiMan12

Why don't you just buy a Yuki 3135 and get the project finished?  It sounds like that his the better 3135 clone...

I used a Tissot Lemania movement from an older PR 516 for my gen build.  If you are lucky, you can find the whole watch for under $500.  In most cases, buying the whole watch is cheaper than buying an gen Omega movement.  If the Tissot movement bridge bothers you that much, have a closed case back or switch the bridge out with a gen Omega bridge.  It should be a direct fit.

Thanks, but this will be fully Omega when finished. The movement is just under $2k. I just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet. I think I will just get a donor watch in rough shape and swap the movement over.

I only have three watches and the rest is parts. 6263 is going off to assembly soon, once I make a satisfactory hour totalizer hand (the gen hand set was missing this). I bought a Breitling Bullhead case set 5 years ago and managed to get a NOS V7740 last year. Now it's being serviced and assembled.

I pretty much lost interest in modern watches. Slowly migrating from Panerai to Rolex - think I am getting old....

Edited by dropbear2008