When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

go loose your f'ing mind

lionsandtigers

Or if you can't see the photos here, go over to the Vintage Rolex Forum about a third of the way down the first page.

I ujst looked at those a little while ago, that is an awsome gathering. That prototype blue Daytona is amazing, but what about all the gold Daytonas, where did all those come from? What is amazing to me is the values of some of hose collections. i know most of them are dealers, but still some of those cases had in excess of a milion dollars worth of Rolex watches in just one case!! And there were rows and rows of full cases.Miami  Beach was loaded with heavy hitters last week, just look at the cars parked outside. Jags and Porsches are parked around back, they don't even make the cut!!

And they tell us at the TV all the day it's the crisis... There is no more money...

Some people not far away from my location (less than 50km around) don't even have money to heat their home.

What a joke...

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, some beautiful watches there :good::drinks:  Actually not too keen on the blue daytona, and that green dialled DJ made me want to gouge my eyes out, but some of those vintage chronos were stunning :wub:  The dude's sleeve was nice work too :lol:

What this proves to me, just like the photos and TV shows of the auctions at the Pebble Beach Concours de Elegance, is there is, despite the recession, economic turndown, downsizing, Euro Crisis,etc. there are  still a whole lot of very, very wealthy people in this world. The problem is in most cases, and there are exceptions, most of these folks are so encapsulated in the rarified air of their social strata that they don't realize, and frankly don't care if there are people freezing to death or starving. As long as the great unwashed masses stay out of South Beach, Monaco, St. Moritz and other haunts of the "beautiful people" they don't exist in their minds. These are the folks that own the Bentleys, Rolls Royces, Lambourginis and Ferraris that were parked in that parking lot. More than likely, most of these folks came to the show for the antiques, or to see and be seen, perhaps picking up a watch for their husband/ boyfriend Wife /girlfriend, or something new and different to add to their collection.

When you look at the photos of the guys and gals who collect these vintage Rolexes, they don't strike me as being, for the most part, members of the very wealthy society scene. I would suspect that a lot of these guys, especially the older ones, got interested in watches years ago, when they were considerably cheaper. They bought and sold, making a profit in most cases, but always buying with the idea of upgrading and upsizing their collection. One thing that is important to be sucessful at this game, you have to "like them, but not love them". If you can turn a tidy profit on a sale, these guys will sell. But they then take the profits and plow them back into buying something similar but better, or more of what they know is popular. The really good dealers are also very good at spotting trends, both up and down. If they see that something is waning in popularity, they very well may sell out of that particular model, and turn around and load up on what they think is gonig to be the next think that collectors "gotta have" . While most of these folks have a lot of money in watches, they may not necressarily have a lot of money, per se. Their funds are tied up in inventory or collections. They are probably driving the Chevys, Fords and Hondas that are parked off in the background.