When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

USPS Rate Hike

jmb

Don't know if very many CONUS folks have shipped anything in the past couple of days but Priority and Express mail rates have skyrocketed!  A priority Mail International small flat-rate box was $16.99 and now is $23.95.  International Express Mail that used to cost around $35 has jumped to around $55 and and the International Express Mail flat-rate envelope is now $44.95!!!  It looks like the USPS is going to try to sneak into the black via international shipping. 

Grrr......

Is that still with same weight ?

Because I found that stuff can vary sending flat rate if the weight was over the standard limit... on average I used to pay around $22 priority standard flat rate box with a watch and strap (I usually buy bigger wtaches!! :) ) in it but say a couple of straps were $16.95...

I only ask because that might mean that new figure would be closer to $30 for standard flat rate if weight limit was passed? ...(weight dependant)

I always found it hard to get a standard rate from a lot of US deals, I always put it down to a lack of understanding by individuals with the postal services in the main...... it like that in the UK there are many options to send internationally and if you dont know and rely on advice from over the counter ..you tend to get whats best for the courier not you or the recipient...

Having said that our own Postal services have gone up 4 times in the last 18 months.......!!

The equivilent of USPS Priority in UK is Airsure...and they dont do flat rate box ... so an average to US by the equivilent by UK Postal service is £12 ($20) but insurance to £500 max is extra..usually around 50p for each £100 insured. However that price is about the same for anywhere WW

We have EMS but that is given by another postal service 'Parcelforce' which is a sister company of Royal Mail Post....... and that to US is around £32 ($50)... and thats the cheapest EMS options... rip off really...

And lets not gets started on dealer rates !! ;)

Edited by PeteM

You should send a parcel from Oz, we seem to pay a lot more than most even with domestic shipping  :fool:  I do wonder where they get their pricing from, I sent a watch interstate last week on a platinum service should have cost me at the most $75 according to the website (size/weight) but cause I used my own box and it was 2cm over size I had to pay by volume on top of the standard price :fool:  wtf, parcel weighed under 1200gms but paid for equiv weight of 6kgs and cost me $ 148 !       

You should send a parcel from Oz, we seem to pay a lot more than most even with domestic shipping  :fool:  I do wonder where they get their pricing from, I sent a watch interstate last week on a platinum service should have cost me at the most $75 according to the website (size/weight) but cause I used my own box and it was 2cm over size I had to pay by volume on top of the standard price :fool:  wtf, parcel weighed under 1200gms but paid for equiv weight of 6kgs and cost me $ 148 !       

The only reason for that is that they are worried you might be smuggling the crims in the packages back to blighty !! :)

Everyone knows it was alwasy cheaper to get to Oz than it was to get out of it !!

Edited by PeteM
  • Like 1

Yeah, these rate changes only support CONUS sellers limiting sales to CONUS buyers because Priority with tracking actually went down for CONUS shipping.

No, when printing postage on-line delivery confirmation was always free...

International rates have been going up for years. My wife ships packages all the time to her family in eastern europe. 10 years ago, the average box was around 35.00 USD. the same box now is probably closer to 70.00 USD. Same service, double the price. One thing I have noticed however is the rate difference between priority mail, and express mail, both domestic and international has gotten smaller. it's just a few dollars more expensive to ship express now as opposed to using Priority. USPS rates are still less than FedEx or UPS, but they are getting closed. I believe that some of the rate increases are based on the jump in fuel prices over the past few years. USPS has to pay airlines to fly parcels and mail, so when their rates increase, the USPS is forced to pass those increases on to the customer