When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tool problems, hand remover not working well

scott60

I just bought a Presto #7 hand remover and am fooling around with some cheap watches before I go near my Rolexes. The problem with the tool is the center plunger, which is not centered, and keeps hitting the feet and not making it through the central hole between the feet. I have tried to adjust this by adjusting the spring on either side. I can also sometimes get the plunger tip to go through the hole if I hold the tool in a very particular way, placing so much pressure on the right spring and so much pressure on the left spring in a different position to adjust for the plunger tilt and try to center it.

This seems like an awful lot of work to have to go through to make this supposedly good tool behave properly.

Is there a better hand remover with a more stable plunger mechanism?   And what about when the hands are so close to the dial that when a dial protector is used there is barely room for the hand remover. Is this the time for the manual fork type of tool?

thanks

I just bought a Presto #7 hand remover and am fooling around with some cheap watches before I go near my Rolexes. The problem with the tool is the center plunger, which is not centered, and keeps hitting the feet and not making it through the central hole between the feet. I have tried to adjust this by adjusting the spring on either side. I can also sometimes get the plunger tip to go through the hole if I hold the tool in a very particular way, placing so much pressure on the right spring and so much pressure on the left spring in a different position to adjust for the plunger tilt and try to center it. This seems like an awful lot of work to have to go through to make this supposedly good tool behave properly. Is there a better hand remover with a more stable plunger mechanism? And what about when the hands are so close to the dial that when a dial protector is used there is barely room for the hand remover. Is this the time for the manual fork type of tool? thanks
I ruined a bunch of hands with the presto. Ever since getting the manual lever type it's been no problem at all. Ditch the presto IMO.

A presto works just fine. You probably don't know how it should work. You grip the claws around the hour wheel and just pinch the tool (make sure the hands are bth at 12). The feet will co me down on the dial (use a dial protector) and he claws will move up, removing the hands. The centre post will come down to stabilise the hands so they won't fly off.

A presto works just fine. You probably don't know how it should work. You grip the claws around the hour wheel and just pinch the tool (make sure the hands are bth at 12). The feet will co me down on the dial (use a dial protector) and he claws will move up, removing the hands. The centre post will come down to stabilise the hands so they won't fly off.

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I think I've been unclear. When I pinch the tool the central post is stopped by one of the claws. Shouldn't the central post stay in the middle and go through the holes in the hands?

I've tried adjusting the post by fooling with spring tension on either side.

NO

Take off all hands at one go

Set all hands to 12 if you can

Put a thin sheet of plastic over the top of the hands and dial

use the presto and remove all the hands together they will be held in the plastica and that will also protect the dial

Like this but with plastic to protect the hands and dial

59.0345_step1.jpg

NO

Take off all hands at one go

Set all hands to 12 if you can

Put a thin sheet of plastic over the top of the hands and dial

use the presto and remove all the hands together they will be held in the plastica and that will also protect the dial

Like this but with plastic to protect the hands and dial

59.0345_step1.jpg

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much  for the reply. Can you tell me the purpose of the central plunger in the #7? I'm definitely missing something fundamental here...

thanks

Todd

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I think I've been unclear. When I pinch the tool the central post is stopped by one of the claws. Shouldn't the central post stay in the middle and go through the holes in the hands?   I've tried adjusting the post by fooling with spring tension on either side.
Hahaha :lol: You have been very clear and I told you you are doing it wrong..... Do a search on youtube and look up some movies.

Scott you are thinking to much

OK, maybe. But I note that some of the presto removers have no central plunger. This is simple for me to understand. Just use a dial protector, get the remover claws beneath the 2 hands, squeeze and gently remove the hands.

In my presto #7 tool, what should the central plunger be doing? I don't have the thing in front of me now, maybe I'll go home later and take a few pics.

Hi,

Actually the center post in a #7 comes down onto the cannon pinion which is where it exerts force when the hands are pulled. It's a different beast than a #1 or #6.

Your answer above is fine for a presto #6 as I tried one tonight and it's a breeze. The center post in my #7 does NOT align in the center the way it was designed and so misses the cannon pinion.

Which one do you use?

thanks,

Todd

Best tool ever made, and you only bought one I have about 5 in different sizes lol

OK, do you have a #7? The one with orange handle where the center pin has a wheel with 4 different sizes of pins?  This one has to have the center pin perfectly aligned in the middle to hit the cannon pinion of the watch, this is where force is exerted when the hands are pulled. My center pin does NOT stay centralized which causes problems when trying to remove hands. I used a #6 tonight and it was a breeze. Much simpler. Please tell me which is your favorite for a basic vintage 50's-60's civilian swiss automatic? 

thanks