When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Swiss" means ...

jtiis

Pretty apparent the law as it stands today is really a joke. one thing that I have been told is that the watch must be assembled in Switzerland to qualify for the "Swiss Made" designation. So basically, a small watch company could have everything made in China, send it to Switzerland where a contract assembler cases up the ETA movement and you have a Swiss made watch. As it stands today, folks who are not in the know, pay a premium for a watch that in fact is entirely Chinese except for the movement, or even parts of the movement, thinking that they are buying a watch that is 100% Swiss.  

It would not surprise me in the least if brands like Omega, Rolex, Tag, etc. are buying their cases, bracelets, and possibly dials and hands from factories in Asia. Even if they own the factories, they are still not made in Switzerland!!

I'm sure this is one of the reasons the smaller manufacturers are so upset about Swatch Groups decision to stop supplying ETA movements. If they are forced to put Asian movements in their watches, it will be impossible to qualify as "Swiss Made"

still better than 100% made in China. I feel when its cased or assembled at least some siwss quality control plays into it and its not just slapped together by some child labour force, but an actual career trained swiss watch maker.

I do believe Rolex still makes all their parts in the EU, even Omega. in my own pursuit to find manufacturers you learn a lot about which companies supply to the big swiss ones, i have a contact for the company that makes the cases for Omega and they are in Switzerland, I also have a contact for the steel company that supplies to them. none of which is in my budget or scale currently :D

i also have contacts for the factories that make bulova, fossil and doxa. i can say the parts made in China is absolutley true, then again these arent overly expensive watches and the finish is decent to say the least.

but yes there are huge mark ups and premiums on every swiss watch sold probably around 80%, most people who buy them wont even realize their origin or care to think about it, along as their wrist says Rolex and it's legible from several feet away that theyre wearing one.

• Like 1

I had an older Wenger 'Swiss Military' watch apart a while back with:

'swiss made' on the box

'swiss made' on the manual

'swiss made' stamped on the outside of the caseback

'swiss' at the bottom front of the dial

'china dial' stamped on the back of the dial

'china' stamped inside the caseback

'china' engraved on the bracelet clasp

cbp eta quartz movement stamped 'swiss parts, hong kong assembly'

So...the eta 805.114 that retails for $7.95US must account for 51% of the value. Probably go for $3 each by the thousand.

It also had a supposedly 'swiss made' renata battery...add another 30 cents.

I seriously doubt this watch has ever seen switzerland...maybe they have a picture of the alps hanging in the HK factory to qualify it as 'swiss made'.  :pimp:

• Like 1

I had an older Wenger 'Swiss Military' watch apart a while back with:

'swiss made' on the box

'swiss made' on the manual

'swiss made' stamped on the outside of the caseback

'swiss' at the bottom front of the dial

'china dial' stamped on the back of the dial

'china' stamped inside the caseback

'china' engraved on the bracelet clasp

cbp eta quartz movement stamped 'swiss parts, hong kong assembly'

So...the eta 805.114 that retails for $7.95US must account for 51% of the value. Probably go for $3 each by the thousand.

It also had a supposedly 'swiss made' renata battery...add another 30 cents.

I seriously doubt this watch has ever seen switzerland...maybe they have a picture of the alps hanging in the HK factory to qualify it as 'swiss made'.  :pimp:

Right, I doubt that the really big name watchmakers have anything but maybe bracelets, strap buckles, maybe a handful of other parts made outside Switzerland and/or the EU. that's why those guys are lobbying for the 60% of the value of the Watch, not the movement. they know that there are probably a whole lot of low to mid range watch makers that are buying almost everything in China, and possibly shipping the complete watch "kit" back to Switzerland, dropping in a movement and calling it "Swiss Made", or as automatico said, hang a picture of the Alps on the factory wall in China and call it a day!! These companies are riding the coattails of the big boys and the reputation of Swiss watches, all at a fraction of the cost!!

You know I had the same wegner and I bet it did see Switzerland, from the cargo plane window fetish from China. :D

yeah, they probably bring in a pallet full at a time and transit through the airport in Geneva or Zurich. What they meant to say is instead of "Made in Switzerland" it's actually "Made it to Switzerland"

The latest regulation, IIRC is: In order to be labeled "Swiss", the factory workers who assemble it must promise to eat a sandwich made with cheese with holes in it at least 3 times per year. 

In reality the whole "Swiss made" concept is a joke....I really get especially amused when reading posts here, and on the other rep fora, about guys trying to "authenticate" the alleged Swiss movements that they got suckered into paying an extra C note for from the dealers... ;)  ;)  ;)  

Edited by frankt

Sort of like that Panerai debacle a few years ago when they sold a really expensive "Limited Edition" watch which came with the cheapest unadorned ETA movement (probably was an Asian Clone!!) They caught unshirted Hell for that one :bangin: http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thread/1320595343/The+mysterious+PAM318  Interestingly, this watch was made for the NY Boutique opening, and guess what they have engraved on the caseback, the Brooklyn Bridge!! So if you buy this watch, I 've got a bridge I want to sell you  ;)