When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your Favorite Croc/Gator Dress Strap?

Jmcbnd

I'm looking for recommendations for a dressier croc or gator strap for my PAM111. I really like Sirtoli's Andreas but it doesn't look like they make it in 24mm. I know there are some other high quality makers out there and wanted to get some feedback. What I like about the Sirtoli is the larger pattern, the nicely rounded (padded) profile that tapers at the edges, small stitching and well reviewed quality. Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

I would only recommend OEM Officine Panerai alligator straps. You will not find anything remotely approaching OEM quality (made by Hirsch Armbander GmbH) for significantly less. Some other high quality exotics come from Atelier du Braslet Parisien and Atelier Camille Fournet but they can cost quite a bit more than OEM from new.

I have to agree with Wolf. I have worn a number of different brands over the years and for all the various straps I have tried I always end up with OEM. They tend to last forever and so if you are on a budget you can often pick up a second hand one in good shape for under $200 and get years of use out of it.  

OEM's are nice but expensive and at times vary in quality/style.

I have a black deployant thats seen better days but i still like and I have a Dark Brown croc , as nice as it is the Painted sides are a bit Cheap looking .

I have this really nice bordeaux coloured one I think I got it from Cajun I think its my favourite the Grain and gloss of the skin is really much better than OEM

Dont have a good pic , but you get the idea.

pb200369.jpg

pb200370.jpg.

I got another one as I liked them so much , but its not as nice and really Thick, but still pretty ok

pb200359.jpg

The best thing about OEM's are the keepers are really nice and Thin

Arron/HK Tan can coem close , and he makes some great gators

The best of the best would have to be ABP I am desperate for one of their honey gators special tanning . These are more expensive than OEM and they look so worth it . I have a calf and an ostrich of theres and they are awesome. Someone has the gator on RWG i think.

These are not mine unfortunately I want the one in the middle YUMMO

photo-57_zps8d78f065.jpg

For OEM style gator Peter.watchacc over on risti is pretty hard to beat. Better quality than TWB, and still considerably less than OEM. Or you could just watch the accessory collectors market over there, I have a great black OP gator strap that I picked up on there used for $120. Nicest strap I own, probably.

For OEM style gator Peter.watchacc over on risti is pretty hard to beat. Better quality than TWB, and still considerably less than OEM. Or you could just watch the accessory collectors market over there, I have a great black OP gator strap that I picked up on there used for $120. Nicest strap I own, probably.

dumb question but what is risti?  did a google search and came up with irrelevant material

All I'm going to say is - you get what you pay for both in terms of looks and how the strap wears.  I went through several thousand dollars worth of various aftermarket straps of in different styles and hides, not all of them exotics of course but in the end I recommend OEM because of these simple reasons:

o Comfort: I don't need a reminder that I'm wearing a big heavy watch every minute of the day. With OEM straps I'm never in-between holes, or have a feeling that I signed up for a bondage club.  The straps break in quick and match my wrist well, they're not too thick and they wear in a way that I forget that I have a watch on.

o Safety: I don't have to worry that the hide came from a poacher and was tanned using weird chemicals. There have been numerous instances involving long-standing and well known strap makers whose strap caused rashes or allergic reactions.

o Quality and Durability:  I have five OEM alligator straps and half a dozen calfs most of which I've worn in regular rotation for about 4-5 years together with my wife; they have held up really well and still have a lot of life left.

o Resale value:  I can sell pretty much any OEM strap in almost any condition within 24 hours and not lose a bundle.  In some cases I can even end up making money because OEM strap prices keep climbing every year.

To me and as opposite as Wolf i prefer aftermarket strap than OEM, specially coze of the thickness than i find not enough with OEM and because i also think OEM are too smooth, too perfect or dressy maybe, hard to explain...

For StormTrooper i agree on the amazing quality of ABP (the price is amazing too :D ) You can see one like you like here: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/152978-pam390-on-18-different-high-end-straps-no-reps-no-rubbers/#entry1174104  Honey special tanning, special serie for the French Paneristi and it's the softest croc/alligator strap i ever seen (i know it coze that's me who sold it to Rogerthat :) ).

I never owned a oem strap but I can imagine that it has a great feel. Bought a Orloff strap lately for 100€ and I have to admit that I'm very happy with it. post-4783-136319909133.jpg Carpe Diem Cats Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 months later...

oem meaning the leather are made by people and not from AD?

OEM stands for "original equipment manufacturer", and in this case refers to straps that come directly from the maker that you would get at an AD, as opposed to aftermarket straps.