When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my new project rolex sea dweller 1665 gw..any vintage expert?

chronobam

hi guys
as the title i am going to start my new vintage project.. rolex sea dweller 1665 gw. from josh.
i have just seen some good piece.and i have some question for the 1665 expert..
i have just byed a ingod rail dial..fabulous in my opinion..
now im checkin for what insert choose..
for the glass i think to use a t39 gen model..
what do you think about this pieces?
and last question..i have seen in the gen, caseback has ROLEX mark in circular mode..in josh rep is in diagonal mode..is there a gen in diagonal marks or not?
thanks in advance for you help dudes.. smiley.gif

I don't know about Josh's 1665 but I'd try to source an MBW if I were you (preferably an old one). As to the glass there was a very detailed review of t39's a few years ago and money/quality wise the Clarks T39 won the contest. Old gen glass can be suspect and expensive and the Clarks offering is virtually identical for a lot less $$$. Also a replacement gen crown and tube and flat top datewheel are a must IMHO. Good luck with the build.

I'm no expert but I'm with dieselpower, source a Mbw case set for it instead, much easier down the line I would say for parts fitment etc, I'll post some pics of mine for you soon, and that caseback is very close to the one on my Mbw build 

Older Mbw case set, Cg's shaved

Mbw dial

Gen Crystal,insert,crown & tube

580 end links 93150 bracelet with Tc clasp

IMG_1721_zps9707ecd6.jpg

IMG_1711_zpsd887b8a5.jpg

IMG_1710_zpsf4adc2fb.jpg

I don't know about Josh's 1665 but I'd try to source an MBW if I were you (preferably an old one). As to the glass there was a very detailed review of t39's a few years ago and money/quality wise the Clarks T39 won the contest. Old gen glass can be suspect and expensive and the Clarks offering is virtually identical for a lot less $$$. Also a replacement gen crown and tube and flat top datewheel are a must IMHO. Good luck with the build.

yes you are right, old 1665 glass are expensive and someone very used..i try to check a new spare rolex t39 glass..how much it cost clark glass?i have just find gen crown and tube i dont know if 702 or 703 type.. thanks ;)

I have a gen service t39 (non superdome) on my MBW based one and it is just lovely. The clarity is outstanding! :good:

As for the 1665 case backs. Apparently there were some early/ "transitional" GW's (around the 5.3 mil serial in late 1977) that came with DRSD case backs. But the correct case back for the Rail Dial (5.7 mil to 6.2 mil) should be the circular engraved one.

yes you are right, old 1665 glass are expensive and someone very used..i try to check a new spare rolex t39 glass..how much it cost clark glass?i have just find gen crown and tube i dont know if 702 or 703 type.. thanks ;)

I've had a couple builds now with Clark and though very good and far better than rep save the money and go Gen straight off the dial just pops and no distortion either (make sure it's Gen though)  :inverted:  I picked up a couple crystals on the boards between $70-100 they do come up now and again  :)

I went the budget route on my GW and it's not as good as some of the other GWs, but it's a great beater.

I started with the $198 Angus 1665 with the 2846-2 and the silver DWO with correct flat top 3's and open 6/9s

MBW dial, gen crown and aftermarket tube, G-S domed crystal and jmb retaining ring.

It's WR and I'm happy with it as a beater

P1000285-2.jpg

I went the budget route on my GW and it's not as good as some of the other GWs, but it's a great beater.

I started with the $198 Angus 1665 with the 2846-2 and the silver DWO with correct flat top 3's and open 6/9s

MBW dial, gen crown and aftermarket tube, G-S domed crystal and jmb retaining ring.

It's WR and I'm happy with it as a beater

P1000285-2.jpg

looks very good!fantastic dial!!

ok ... :) thaks for the support guys

im waitin josh 1665 gw 2846 low beat...i have bought ingod rail dial...my project has begun... :)

With the ingod rail dial, you are going to have to use a DW overlay, I believe. The Date window on the gen/aftermarket dials is slightly different, and the ETA DW will not be centered in the date window.Look at alligoat's build very nice one without spending a ton of money.

• 2 weeks later...

ok sd 1665 from josh is here...

thanks all for precous info about...

project has begun... :)

sd1665q.JPG

i wish looks better than toilet paper at the end of modding... :D

w.i.p.

t39 gen
vetro226.jpg

vetro26.jpg
hands

sfere26.jpg
clasp wm9 for change rep standard clasp....

bracc26.jpg
703 crown but is possible that ill use a coevo 701 from a friend... :)
corona26.jpg

waiting gen insert and ingod rail dial.. :) here we go!!