When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Life in Alaska

Nanuq

Finland sounds very much like Alaska, but we have four huge mountain ranges too. And over 1,000,000 lakes larger than an acre.

If you have the Photosynth app here is a panorama I took today.

post-32-136341497359.jpg

It's a great way to show someone "this is where I live". Here's the north side of McHugh peak with north Suicide peak in the distance. Great climb!

post-32-136346373096.jpg

Praetor, it depends what I'm doing.

If I'm going somewhere epic I'll bring my cell phone, insulated inside my backpack so the battery lasts.  So they can find my corpse if necessary.  Otherwise I just carry the Scout Essentials in a backpack with some water and high calorie snacks.  I have a Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS watch that's a fun toy but I never bring it anymore.

When I go out, I expect to be alone and I expect to be able to find my way back out, or I shouldn't be out there.  Maps and a compass are a must-have.

For snaux biking it's Mountain Hardwear Gore-Tex Tech fleece pants, Smartwool bottoms and a zip t-neck, Smartwool socks and Montrail Couloir boots, and a wind proof fleece or wool top. Marmot Randonee gloves and a double thick wool hat. Then I can peel off layers and unzip to vent and stay dry.

For hiking and walking its the same but a thin hat and thin gloves, so I don't overheat.

For cold camping (anything below -35F) I wear a HUGE Marmot down coat as the final layer, a beaver fur hat, O.R. mitts, and old Army canvas high top zip mukluks with Sorel 100 Below liners. I use a Mountain Hardwear King Tut down sleeping bag and two closed cell foam ground pads over a tarp in a snow trench.

This evening I was out hiking in a -30F wind chill so it was wind proof fleece, Mtn Hardwear pants and a thin hat and gloves. Toasty toasty.

post-32-136375504657.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Where you live looks lovely, but cold!

I spent most of my time growing up right next door to the Lake District in the UK:-

6440528297_b304c5559e_o.jpg

And

derwent_water_1.jpg

(not my photos)

Moved down south now and really miss the nature and scenery.

• Like 1

Yep life is found in the great outdoors. I don't want to look back some day and wish I'd found more of it. I figure if I fall asleep each night utterly exhausted with a new memory, then I've traded that day for something worthwhile. Seize The Day.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...