When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need advise on a 1665 dial...

dutchguy2

I am building a nice 1665 ( at least I hope ).

I have a MBW 1665 modified with ETA 2846, gen insert, gen crown. Hopefully I will have a gen T39 crystal soon.

Now I just relumed dial and hands of the original MBW making it look good allready but.... It probably can go much better. So my question is what dial would you go for if you where in the same situation I am in?

There are a few dial makers who are doing pretty good work, but they are all hit and miss. Some of their dials are spot on, others are not as good as your MBW dial. ingod44, NDT, Yuki watch, and Jewelry and Watch (phong) also a fellow in Vietnam, ming Quy makes very nice dials, with the same caveat as the others above, his are more expensive and for some dials it's worth the price, others it's not.

What you will need to consider with all of the above, they dials are generall refinished Rolex plates so the dial feet will not fit  your ETA 2846, they will have to be cut off and the dial reattached by a different method.

Adding to panerai53's comments, if you are going to spend more than $500-$1,100 on 1 of these better aftermarket dials, I would seriously consider sourcing a proper 1575 movement & do it right. That way, not only are you making better use of the parts you have, but you can install gen hands & datewheel to the gen movement, which, sooner or later, you will want to do anyway. And if you have cut the dial feet off a nice aftermarket dial, you cannot easily reattach them later.

Here's how far I took my old MBW (circa 1997). Gen triplock crown, insert and T39 superdome crystal. It was mounted to an old Paul's 1680 ETA movement, hence the silver datewheel. The crystal made the dial even better. Mine was ivory from age, the only thing I didn't like much was how deep red the lettering was. I wished it was a brighter red, otherwise I was very pleased.<br /><br />dr_new.jpg<br />

What a difference a crystal can make :clap2:

It is not the first time for me but it always amaze me how good these gen crystals look.

Probably my pics don't tell you what I see and feel but to give you an idea, this watch went from a cheap rep to a gen feel and look rep.

4126468E-C82F-466C-83FC-85D1BB2872E9-994

376A68E0-34F2-4193-97F4-F6ADB8641D64-994

A957B23B-6A6A-410B-9A2E-30DB31B2670B-994

930177AB-D9EB-4160-8A82-472DF1C82787-994

376A68E0-34F2-4193-97F4-F6ADB8641D64-994

What you think guy's, any need for an other dial?

Will change hands, because the hour hand is missing a part (came this way LOL)

• 5 weeks later...