When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss ETA with no stamp?

neukoln6

Hello everybody!
I recently bought a AP Diver V3.5 form Toro Bravo, following members recommendations. I could not be happier. It is an amazing piece! Instead of buying a genuine Hamilton I bought that. I took it to my usual watch shop, they checked movement and water resistant, all was in order, indeed they loved the watch. I wanted to get rid of my G-Shock I use daily to work in the kitchen, as I am Executive Chef. I wanted a Swiss Eta movement again, as I want to keep the watches for a long time, and I want them to last and be serviced. I went to Timeshops. I chose a Bell & Ross, "Creme de la Creme" After having some problems trying to pay with my VISA I decided to send money with Western Union. A few days later they tell me they don't have the watch. After asking about several models they offer me the Jaeger-LeCoultre, nice watch. But my daily beater now went to over $500, no way I am using that for the kitchen!
I already sent the money, I felt I had no choice. I think they should have told me they didn't have it before I bought it...Communication was OK though. Today I had it checked they told me it says Swiss, movement looks good, but they doubt is an ETA as it does not have the ETA stamp. They sold me a Sellita movement?
Thank you for your help
Klaus
Pompano Beach

Yes a bit disappointing though. The watch is beautiful. I am not sending it back. It was only $10 extra for the ETA. I am looking into some cheap Swiss quartz Bell & Ross replica for daily use, Any feedback on those? Any experience with them?

Thank you

Back when i was a banquet chef I never wore any decent watches in the kitchen....I usually wore a POS Rolex style homage Sub that I bought somewhere for @ $40.00...

Too many opportunities to get a decent watch "fubared"  in that environment...

I've had a high quality Miyota powered quartz Bell n Ross rep for four years and its still purring away on it's original battery. <br /><br />I would very much advise against a big baller watch in a profession where you are running and moving and shaking all day long. These big watches beat up your wrist bone when they move too much. <br /><br />If you have a meaty wrist, this may not apply to you, but my bone is prominent.

• Like 1

I just got this one. We will see. More than the running ( I do a lot of that) is that I have to wash the watch every night , as it gets grease on it. I just don't feel like any more G shocks or Luminox. ( ugly watches).Now I am hooked up on replicas lol. Having a beautiful watch on your wrist every morning is a great way to start your day. 

http://www.timeshops.net/10811-br3970-bellrose-mans-ceramic-casing-black-ru-swiss-quartz.html

"No marking on movement means its a Asian clone" 

Fully agree and I have seen a lot of Etas.

"I own some clones without any stamp at all."

Me too and they are fairly easy to spot as clones. Later examples with crisp Eta marks are harder to identify.

Decorated (engine turned) Eta signed Seagull ST21 (2824 etc Etaclone) is easy to spot. First one I saw was over 5 years ago.

Good info:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?43138-Seagull-movements

Sellita's when serviced are every bit as good as ETA. And as someone else mentioned with ETA these days the ebauche os more than likely made in Asia anyhow.

The SW should be as good even WITHOUT servicing. It's suppose to be a genuine Swiss movement afterall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SW should be as good even WITHOUT servicing. It's suppose to be a genuine Swiss movement afterall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without proper lubrication no movement will function properly - Asian or Swiss. You just never have any idea whether a movement is in decent shape when coming from the dealers. :)