When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen bezel and crystal GMT IIc

sneed12

There was recently a gen bezel assembly (first I'd ever seen) for sale on VRF for 300-some odd Euros. panerai153 became the new lucky owner.

He posted a thread (http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/156850-gmt-iic-ceramic-bezelinsert-swap-more-photos/) asking how to install the bezel assembly on his watch, and I pointed out it wasn't possible with the case he was trying to use. We got to talking and he asked me to sell him my GMT IIc case and install his movement/dial/hands, gen crystal with AR'ed cyclops, and gen bezel assembly. I was eager to see a gen bezel assembly in person so I agreed.

panerai153's old watch on the left, my watch w/ donor case on the right. Gen bezel in the back.

100_5015_zpsc6e0bb8a.jpg

When you take the gen bezel apart here's what's there

100_5016_zps85d65944.jpg

Compare to the torn down rep case (my rep is what we were calling the Sead superlumed last year, now we've learned it comes from the BP factory). As far as I know, this is the only rep GMT IIc with gen-style bezel construction. Every other GMT IIc case I've ever seen has a press-in crystal.

100_5019_zps9e311184.jpg

Side-by-side of bezels, note the thin numbers on the rep bezel insert (there will be a second thread with gen/rep comparos)

100_5021_zpsb2f11f0c.jpg

Bottom sides are nearly identical

100_5022_zps10f98b4b.jpg

All bezel parts--bezels have the same style of construction (gen parts on bottom)

100_5020_zpsde841007.jpg

HOWEVER--inside diameter of rep retaining ring is TOO BIG. This is the problem I ran into before when I first tried to install a gen crystal in my watch. You can mount a gen crystal on the case using a gen-spec crystal gasket, but when you try to install the rep bezel over it, the rep bezel is too big. It falls right off. I kludged it before by using the rep gasket with the gen crystal, but it didn't hold very well.

Gen crystal w/ gen-spec gasket installed:

100_5022_zps10f98b4b.jpg

Rep retaining ring installed. Notice how there's a gap at 6 o'clock (you can see between the ring and the gasket)? If I were to turn the watch over the retaining ring would fall right off (it's not supposed to do that, obviously). But the gen bezel retaining ring is designed for a gasket of this size, so using the gen parts gives a nice tight fit. The gen bezel works with this case.

Having confirmed that it will work, I install the movement so that I can ensure the crystal is in the correct position

100_5026_zps9278168b.jpg

and then I install the retaining ring.

100_5027_zps9e3fe9fa.jpg

This step was a gigantic pain in the ass. I did it at least a dozen times. If you don't get it right, when you install the bezel itself the triangle doesn't line up to the 12. The ring kept slipping/rotating as I pressed it, so it would start lined up but be slightly off when it was pressed down. I bet Rolex installs the entire bezel assembly as a unit, which would make this much easier, but I was deathly afraid to press on the ceramic insert for fear that I would crack it so I did it this way.

Finally I got it

100_5028_zpsd51ac28c.jpg

and installed the gen bezel.

100_5029_zpsdc856c8d.jpg

It looks amazing. Makes me wish I'd bought the bezel assembly. I'll be posting a second thread in a moment about what I'm doing with my watch and rep parts.

Interestingly, the bezel feels just like the rep bezels--there's a tiny bit of play when you click it over. I tried adjusting it but it's just the way the gen spring is. Don't get me wrong, it's not loose or anything, it stays put and clicks over with authority, but there's a tiny bit of wiggle. Makes me think of all the folks who have tried to mod their reps to not be that way!

Congratulations to panerai153, who is I believe the first person ever to own a GMT IIc rep with a gen bezel assembly.

100_5055_zpsa2173028.jpg

The bezel assembly and insert look amazing. 
But I can tell instantly it's a rep by the silver rings around the hour indices... It's too thick and it's not Maxi enough.  

If you're going to spend $$, why not fix the biggest tell?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Rolex-Mens-New-Style-GMT-MASTER-II-Black-Maxi-Marker-Dial-116710-/281084942884?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item4171f7da24

The bezel assembly and insert look amazing. 

But I can tell instantly it's a rep by the silver rings around the hour indices... It's too thick and it's not Maxi enough.  

If you're going to spend $$, why not fix the biggest tell?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Rolex-Mens-New-Style-GMT-MASTER-II-Black-Maxi-Marker-Dial-116710-/281084942884?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item4171f7da24

Actually, that isn't the biggest tell, the ICHS movement is the biggest. the seller on Ebay wants 750 for that dial, i don't think that there is 750.00 USD worth of difference in the two. I do plan at some point in time getting a CHS movement and replacing the ICHS movementI've ben put off with htose movements in the past because of the unrealiability factor, but they seem to be a better movement now. For the time being, I want to wear it and enjoy the watch for a while,  plus i have two other project watches going, and my wife is starting to give me some hard looks whenever packages arrive at our house!!!

Actually, that isn't the biggest tell, the ICHS movement is the biggest. the seller on Ebay wants 750 for that dial, i don't think that there is 750.00 USD worth of difference in the two. I do plan at some point in time getting a CHS movement and replacing the ICHS movementI've ben put off with htose movements in the past because of the unrealiability factor, but they seem to be a better movement now. For the time being, I want to wear it and enjoy the watch for a while,  plus i have two other project watches going, and my wife is starting to give me some hard looks whenever packages arrive at our house!!!

When I state "Biggest Tell" I mean, when you look at a watch, your eyes goes first to the dial.

Reps have a hard time getting the silver rings and Lumes right. 

It's always too big and shiny and bubbly.  Looks like Halos

Gens have a very thin and more ambiguous silver rings and the lume is white and flat. 

For me, it's an instant tell.  

When I used to work at a Watch shop, I used to authenticate watches, first by the dial.

If the dial fails, I don't have to look at any other parts of the watch. 

When I build my frankens, I focus on the dial first. Then prioritize other parts after.

Edited by chibiunko

• 2 months later...

Wow... This is THE build. Super impressed with how much work went into this gem. So I can further clarify. The BP GMT IIc version is the sub that with some TLC can take a gen bezel and insert? The BP has the assembly in place to pop in a gen bezel? If this is the case I just need to buy a BP then.......

• 8 months later...

Thanks for this thread, I hope you could help me with something?

I have genuine parts here, like yourself, but this part highlighted below is broken, and I can't get the bezel assembly to snap into place..

13219036133_7d92001e0b_b.jpg

Can you explain please how to press the bezel assembly on, how this nylon part works?  I'm hoping I can try a crystal gasket the same size, but need to know where this part goes.

Thanks in advance.

Can you explain please how to press the bezel assembly on, how this nylon part works?  I'm hoping I can try a crystal gasket the same size, but need to know where this part goes.

Thanks in advance.

So if you look at the bezel retaining ring, the lumpy thing with the round half-circles that gives the 24 clicks (all the way on the right in your pic) you see that it has a lip at the top. And if you look inside the bezel itself, you will see a channel/groove around the inside just underneath the bezel insert.

That nylon ring sits inside the groove, and is designed to snap over the lip of the retaining ring. If you try to install the bezel without it, it just falls off.

Any nylon ring the same size that fits snugly between the two parts should work fine. The rep part should probably work fine as well, and every BP GMT IIc bezel assembly has one. I think I saw a BP GMT IIc bezel assembly for sale the other day in the parts section. Alternatively, I guess you could try an o-ring? But I don't know if it's too squishy to snap in place...

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks mate, you pretty much confirmed what I had in my head, looking at the parts I could seen those grooves you mention.  So far I have failed with any of the nylon gaskets I have, they are a little too wide, so will try and sand one down to the correct width.

I will let you know how I get on.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,  saw your posting.  I actually have a similar request.  I have a new style GMTII with Ceramic bezel.  I want to add a diamond bezel to it and was wondering if this procedure would be the way to add that?  In other words, since it has that new ball bearing click system, would that have to be removed so that a regular flat bottom aftermarket bezel could fit ?  Are there any other cutouts underneath and if it does not work, how hard is it to put back the ceramic click system if I need to.

Thanks for your replies.