When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Follow on - MBW 1680 / ingod dial build

bones

Following on from this thread where I had issues with the dial opening and dial set of the old school case.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/155754-old-school-mbw-1680-build-ingod-dial-issues/

I sourced a 10mm mill bit and actually worked the case myself in my drill press. Something I never wish to repeat. But I think it turned out ok. 

Full build pics (130pics) in this online album: http://imgur.com/a/BOtpe

1) Base watch : MBW Old School
2) Movement : Eta 2846 Low beat
3) Dial : Ingod White 1680 dial
4) Hands : Yuki Tudor Hands
5) Crown : Gen 703 Rolex Crown+Tube
6) DWO : Cartel DWO 6'n'9 open
7) Glass : Unknown maker tropic 127
8) Bracelet/Ends : Cartel bracelet 580/93150

CRwqYaZh.jpg
K7stj1Mh.jpg
Tffi2fIh.jpg
glTJAmNh.jpg
LqoGdNYh.jpg
RXqrAkth.jpg
CVmXazlh.jpg
pWcabrch.jpg
yDw2OiRh.jpg
PRkszgCh.jpg
pGZzOb1h.jpg
nMRa5Kih.jpg

great build! I believe most 1680 builds suffer from the left justification "Blues" i know mine did. I resorted to a genuine dial and that helped some. mine has one of the old MBW silver DW,s no overlay, and iwanted to keep that if posssible. I truluy believe the only solution to perfect DW alignment in the 1680 is a gen dial, gen movement and gen DW!! Starts getting real expensive to fix a small problem.

Thanks guys, this was a challenging build. Was very much a shame to see it go out the door to its new owner. I was just a very very temporary caretaker of it whilst being built. 

I have something special planned for the next build, which will be my first personal build in a long time. 

Althogh i prefere the MBW white dial that looks stunning, i am wearing the gen right now and the only fault i can see is the date wheel, Yes it is left centered but to be the dullness of the sliver and lack of brushing

Did you drill the lug holes to be 2mm and counter-sink them?

I never countersink springbar holes. Ever. The case sides are given what I would call restorative polishing. Usually I will take it down with coarse grit paper and re-work it all the way back up to polishing on the bench polisher. This creates the 'countersunk' look to the springbar holes that you would get from polishing the case sides over the decades of use. 

Ok it might take a few hours to do, but It's much more natural looking than countersinking with a drill bit.