When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for a good hotel in Manhattan

prdubis

Hi guys,<br /><br />I'm going to NYC in September with my father, it will be its first time in the US and we are looking for a nice but cheap hotel in manhattan, midtown would be great, in the nearby of Times Sq.<br />I was staying at The Algonquin during my previous trip but will not be able to afford it this time.<br /><br />Any idea?<br /><br />Thanks all for your help.

I'm a NYC fan and went there several times.

You may look at a different solution: rent an apartment might be cheaper and more comfortable. (Avoid CraigList, there are way too many scams)

Also,  Time Square is easy to reach from anywhere in Manhattan and will be expensive anyway.
There are many other areas with charm, better food, better shops and bars.

Maybe you can have a look at these:

www.airbnb.com

www.homelidays.com 

Enjoy! I'm jalous, no NYC this year :-(

Go to Expedia, type in Mid town Manhattan hotels, you will get a list of a hundred or more. September might be a good time to go as school has satarted here, and the tourists (at least the USA ones have all gone home). I would try to stay a little uptown more toward central park, not as crowded as Times Square, and possibly a little cheaper.

I stayed at the Paramount in Times Square. It is a great place and convenient to everything. Theatre and Awesome Italian resteraunts .

The rooms are all different and artfully decorated. The rates are about as good as you get for a memorable stay. Have fun. New York is expensive anyway you look at it. It was 20 below with wind chill when I stayed in a February some years ago. Sheesh. Springtime and fall are best.

The words "Cheap" and "Manhattan" don't find themselves in the same sentence very often. If it's not a business trip (aka: my money) I usually use points and stay somewhere close to Times Square. The W there is one of my favorites.

I've used "Airbnb.com" for extended stays a few times. It's been real easy to use.

The words "Cheap" and "Manhattan" don't find themselves in the same sentence very often. If it's not a business trip (aka: my money) I usually use points and stay somewhere close to Times Square. The W there is one of my favorites.

I've used "Airbnb.com" for extended stays a few times. It's been real easy to use.

I fully agree.

I'm all for airbnb too.

When travelling solo I also use Points from SPG and being Gold or Platinum helps.

But even if you are upgraded in a junior suite, or a suite, it will always be small compared to an appartment...

In the end, travelling private, an appartment is much more comfortable and in the end who needs room service when one can grab whatever at the grocery store ;-)

Here is a different approach. Don't stay in Times Square. Stay in an elegant residential area. The restaurants are better and the museums, etc. are around there. You can always take a cab to Times Square anytime you want and if you are traveling with an older relative it is more peaceful. In that vein check out the Hotel Wales around 90th and Madiso. Not a "posh" hotel but very nice, quaint, reasonable (for NYC) and it's room service comes from a wonderful restaurant in the building - Sarabeth's for those who are familiar with that name. It is much more civilized up there and closer to the Metropolitan and Whitney museums among others. It is one of the hotels on the Upper East side where permanent residents check in when their homes are being renovated and it is implausible to stay in them. My 2 cents. :)

• Like 1

The last time I visited NY I've stayed in self catering apartments on the Upper West Side. 81st and Columbus. Pretty much a minute from the Natural History Museum. The apartment was great, much more roomy and more comfortable than a hotel, Nice big living room, Kitchen and double bedroom all for around $100 a night. But other studios are available also. The area was lovely with great eateries, supermarkets and bars near by, subways 2 mins away. The apartments are known as Jack and Judys B&B but not so much a B&B as a 'do it yourself'. Trouble is they've become very popular over the past couple of years on tripadvisor and now demand and prices aren't so cheap afaik. Check tripadvisor for self catering apts lets in the residential areas and its a much nicer experience than many hotels.