When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Starting an Horology Course...Excited!

ceejay

I have been on the waiting list to join a Horologist club that runs Horology courses and yesterday I was informed that there is a space available.

I have naturally jumped at the opportunity and will begin next Tuesday for an initial year of training.

Hopefully in the future I will be able to offer a UK based service to our members and service and repair my own watches of course!

Really looking forward to it:)

• Like 1

Congrats on the opening being available to you.  Hope it's everything you wish for.  I'm slowly getting back into the watch game after several years break, and currently building up my tools, and equipment for this hobby.  Oh and of course, reading lots, and lots.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I am under no illusion that it will be a quick "done the course send me your watches".

I am doing this mainly because I have always had hobbies and this will be just that.

I just want the skills and knowledge to be able to sevice and repair my own watches and if theres time then a few others.

To answer a couple of other questions...MD2020, the club is on the outskirts of london just into Essex and is affiliated with the British Horology Institute, it doesn't have a sponser as such but has support from companies in the UK such as Cousins, Glaxo Smithkline & Thornton Successors who have all donated machinery and equipment and they offer discounts on materials to club members.

The club seems well eqiped with several different lathes & milling machines & a pantograph engraving machine, machanical piercing saw etc.

The club also has an extensive library:)

I will update you as I go along, but I relish going back to schol at the age of 45!

Cheers

ETA Incabloc assembly for ETA/Unitas/Asian 6498 ;)

Close...it's a 6497 :) so you have guessed the assembly, whats the project?

is the project to glue that jewel to the front of a timex watch to bling it up a bit?

If I did that it would certainly double the value of a timex :D

You want to make an Asian movement (Pam or something with a clear caseback) look like the gen which has a Incablock shock absorber, the clone version has a fake one that does not look like the real deal.

;)

Spot on! I have a Pam177 that I am going to do Francisco's mod on. Hopefully including a strip, clean and lube.