When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Detailed explanation of the moon phase function?

bradmc

Does anybody have any links or can explain the moon phase function in detail? I need to know the gear ratios, how the complication attaches to the drive train and how the module is quickset...parts involved and interactions etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

A 'moon phase' is 29 days, 12 hours, 44 minutes. Very few watches have a way to make the moon phase follow this schedule so they simply use a 31 day calendar wheel to display the moon in a window. Every month or two you need to adjust the moon in the window to show a 'full moon' at the correct time.

I have an old 'Colours' quartz moon phase watch on my desk that has been running for close to 20 years (with a few batt changes) and I set the calendar and moon every time there is a short month so the moon does not get out of whack very much. 

http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon

That complication only tells day from night 

That's not even a little bit true...

Does anybody have any links or can explain the moon phase function in detail? I need to know the gear ratios, how the complication attaches to the drive train and how the module is quickset...parts involved and interactions etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Basically it's a second calendar mechanism that turns in 29.5 days (the length of a lunar month) instead of 31. The details vary depending on the movement you look at.

What do u need all that for. Building something? That complication only tells day from night, and the quickest date doesn't have any effect on it. Its hard to give.you info on thus without knowing what movement your taking about.

this is only true of cheap china reps. real moon phase tells you the ... moon phase.