When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can Any Useful info be gathered from these Pics?

billyfras

A friend of mine (who needs a better camera or cellphone) told me that her grand dad had a Rolex that had been sitting in a drawer for years I asked her for pics and this is what I got.

img20130418wa00011.jpg

img20130418wa00001.jpg

my question Is whether there is any Indication here in this blurry mess that would tell me whether to persue this piece or not. Or even If Its rep or gen?

Yes its a fake! Thats the info i gathered rolex never made a two tone daydate, only gold or plat

Hm, not 100% correct ;)

There is one very rare version of the early Day Dates that appears to be a two tone, but it's rather three coloured. It's solid white gold, the bezel and crown are yellow gold and the president bracelet is solid white gold with two lines of each yellow and rose gold. It is the so called Rolex Tridor.

But even based on these low quality pictures I daresay it's not genuine, the early 180X Day-Dates look different between the lugs.

:)

You really need some high res close up photos to determine anything. Interesting what is the stripe running down the middle of the gold links in the bracelet? those end links may not be fitting due to the position of the watch, but it's impossible to really tell anything without better photos. Removing the  bracelet and looking at the serial # as well as the model # would help, and of course removing the back and having a look at the movement would be really helpful.

If you google Rolex tridor and click on images, there are lots of photos of watches that look just like the last photo the tri-color center links. so after seeing those photos, i believe the last photo is a photo of a genuine, buit it's not the same watch as pictured in those first crappy photos. the watch in the last photo is listed on a website http://market.watchprosite.com/?show=collection.detail&id=38961&brandview=Rolex&mod=&series=+Tridor*+Tridor the seller is in Mexico.

So sir, my question to you is why put up a photo of a completely unrelated watch that belongs to a seller who is in Mexico. A watch that bears no resemblence to the one in the first blurry, out of focus photos? Are you just playing games, or do you want help.  i would advise you to come back with better photos if you want anyone here to help you, and if you post photos of watches that you have lifted from someone else's sales site,  i would think that common courtesy should dicatate that  you acknowledge that these are photos for comparison purposes and not better images of your friends watch.

• Like 1

Panerai153, where did I insinuate that it was the same watch? Tone down just a notch. Please. If you already know the answer to the question, then why ask it?

I'd think it would be obvious that the last picture I posted was merely an illustration and confirmation of 1680s post informing us that a genuine two toned tridor actually exists, after someone else told us that one was never made.

Your exhaustive investigation was unnecessary as I'm sure neither you, nor anyone else needed help to figure out that it was not the same watch. (The image is linked directly from the site of origin after all and is clearly of a watch in much better condition)

But anyway,to you sir, my apologies for not stating the obvious. Just for you, I'll edit the offending post.

Edit: Tried to add a notation to the picture but Im not seeing the edit option for that post.  Guess it will have to stay as is.

Edited by billyfras

Not a problem, it would have been more helpful if you had noted that "here is a photo of a genuine Rolex Tridor for comparison" It's too bad your friend can't take better photos of the watch, it's impossible to tell anything from the ones that she took. the reason i did the investigation , which really didn't take any time at all, was out of curiosity as  I had never seen a tridor, and I was of the same impression as several other posters that a ss/gold Day/date didn't exist.Now i know that there is and exception to that.

Have a great day

The posted watch (of billyfras) can only be a fake or a franken.

The Tridor is an old Day-Date which has more meat between the lugs (iirc because of the first versions of SEL they had), the watch posten (1./2. picture) clearly has not this type of case and has a Jubilee bracelet. Even if a Jubilee was fitted to an old Day-Date these endlinks wouldn't work.

It only (if genuine) could be a modern one with sapphire, but those were not availble as a tri colour. But based on the pictures there are other things that at least look off, the bezel eg.

Edited by 1680