When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A fun build for me and my brother. (1675 and 1016)

CptTripps

One of the reasons I joined this site was to learn more about the pieces/parts that go into working on a vintage Rolex. My brother is currently wearing the same Gucci watch he's had for the last 15 years. He commented a few months ago that he'd really like an Explorer I, as it was the watch that Ian Fleming wore. I've looked at a few 1016s, and knew what he was after, but that he wouldn't EVER want to spend that much on a watch.

So I started looking at the parts needed to build him one. I decided to start playing with a rep, and then eventually build a franken/gen when I knew what I was doing. Hell, if we end up having a good year, maybe I'll buy him a gen. This will be a good project/placeholder until then though.

So I ordered a few watches from TrustyTime to see what I could accomplish. I got myself a 1675 too, because I always thought the "vintage" watches would be fun to wear. Today, they both showed up.

post-53458-0-53367700-1366911909_thumb.j

Right now, they both sound like a bag of glass.

Here's the list of what I want to do to both of them.

• Break down both to the stainless

• Work the cases to age them appropriately

• Work/Oil the bracelets to make them a little less "tin" and a little more "worn"

• Age the Pepsi bezel

• Age both dials...not a lot though

• Bore out the lug holes a LITTLE BIT and replace the springbars with 2mm rounded

After that, I can re-assemple and see what I've got. I'll re-assess and see if I want to go deeper anywhere.

This ought to be fun!

Sounds like quite a undertaking but fun at the same time. I wish I had the skills / nerves to do all you stated but choose to farm my projects out after I gather all the parts. Pictured is my 1675 recently completed and I have a 1680 in the process of being modded. I love the vintages. <br /><br />a052744eb06cf551e2ff0737dd324594.jpg

I spent some time with this last night. The movement in the 1016 didn't appear to be the Swiss one that I'd ordered, but I DID have an old ETA out of a vintage Rado that I never wear. So I'm using that instead. I pulled all the date/day wheels out, and it fit like a glove.

e8asuty3.jpg

e2e5yru5.jpg

utysasys.jpg

I wet sanded the dial with coffee and 2000 grit to age it just a bit. Takes the "new" edge of.

After some case-sanding/buffing/sanding I landed on a more vintage looking feel. I put everything back together and this is what it looks like right now.

post-53458-136698557496.jpg

post-53458-136698560549.jpg

I need to make the lug holes just a smidge bigger to accept the better bars.

The low-beat movement kept perfect time overnight, so that was a success.

i've heard of staining dials and handsets with coffee, but wet sanding with it?

i'm not so sure i understand what you mean...

you wetted the dial, and scrubbed it with coffee grounds?

i ask because your watches, both of em, look really good! cheers to that :)

really dig seeing projects like this

He means 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper.

Really looking good mate, that exp dial looks sweet.

How did you age the dial like that? Looks great.

I still wasn't happy with the 1675 dial, so I pulled everything and started over.

post-53458-136784030067.jpg

I'm going to paint the dots and get it back together tonight. See what I can come up with.

How did you age the dial like that? Looks great.

Thanks kindly, Mr. Doug. I started out trying to stain this dial by soaking it in espresso and also really dark tea, but it just would not absorb any color at all. So what I wound up doing was essentially painting on espresso, tea, and a few very tiny spots of shoe polish, and then sealing it all in with matte lacquer. I sanded the hands very lightly and then did pretty much the same thing with them. I also baked everything very lightly under a 100-watt lightbulb. I'll put up another post with some more pictures so you can decide what you might like and what you can improve on.

Looking forward to following your progress!

Painted the line dots tonight.

First, I sprayed everything with white primer, the followed up with 5-6 coats of Krylon Glowz.

post-53458-136788825037.jpg

Then placed them on the dial...one by one.

post-53458-13678882775.jpg

post-53458-136788828848.jpg

post-53458-13678882985.jpg

Then placed the hands and set the clearence.

post-53458-136788833141.jpg

Put humpty back together...and here he sits.

post-53458-13678884486.jpg

Only thing left to do, is drill out the lug holes.

I love this watch...

DIY Lume is pretty nice too!

post-53458-136788862597.jpg

I've got a replacement bezel on its way to me. cool as the Pepsi is, I've always liked the "Coke" dials a little better.

I'm going to try to age it a little first, but think it's going to be a great combo.