When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just Built A New Light Box...

Guest avitt

I just finished this new light box. The design was based (from memory) on Mark Simmons' PLB III.

154670-14005.jpg

I grabbed a few watches from the box, and tried it out:

154670-14006.jpg

154670-14007.jpg

154670-14008.jpg

154670-14009.jpg

154670-14010.jpg

154670-14011.jpg

154670-14012.jpg

154670-14013.jpg

(That Superdome is tough to photograph.)

...Next addition will be a polarizing filter, so I won't have to amp up the contrast as much...I'll get this photography stuff down yet....

Nice!!!

But I would have gone with a white or black surface instead of wood...

Since I was making the base platform out of wood, I figured I would just apply a nice finish, so that I can use it as a background when I want to. (I applied several coats of hand rubbed oil-urethane finish, followed by a few coats of wax...it's about as good as birch plywood can be made to look.

Remember, it's a box, and I can put anything I want in there...including any type of background material.

I think your pics look awsome except I do agree with Rolexman that the wood clashes with the watches.. ;)

Just another opinion...

Thanks. But I don't agree that watches and wood are incompatible.

Great job of the lightbox.Anthony.....almost identical to mine.....and your pics have turned out great.... :D

That means quite a lot, coming from you, Neil. I hope to get to the point where I can apply the PS technique that you've suggested.

whats that stuff on the DRSD?

Paint. I was reaching around behind an entertainment cabinet, working on some wiring, and I scuffed up the Superdome. I was going to polish it clean, but now I'm thinking that it lends to the credibility of a 30 year-old tool watch hommage.

Oh yeah, with the polarising filter, get a square of black card. :D

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look through your photography tutorials, to see what else I can learn.

Duplicate it & sell it--I'll buy one. :)

I can't do that, but I could put together some plans, if anyone wants to make one themselves (materials cost about $30).

If you're in the US, I can also sell you my other light tent. It's a Calumet Cocoon:

155544-13826.jpg

Calumet Cocoon

Nice design. What is the white material? Bendable or flexible plastic?

Usil

Thank you. The translucent material is a polystyrene ceiling light panel. It's a little more brittle than I would prefer, but if handled gently, it does the job.

• 4 weeks later...