When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Right handed -- right wrist watch wearer ...

Ricardo L

I'm the same right handed and I've always worn on my right up until a few weeks ago and starting to try to wear on my left, it's a funny feeling to start but keep at it you'll get there  :inverted:  less dings and scratches too!

I was in the same situation, until about 4 years ago I always had my watch on my right wrist. And I always got asked if I was left handed...

Then one day I had two watches on my wrist, at the begining it was a very strange feeling but then all my watches stayed on the left wrist.

It is just a case of familiarity. Being right handed, the chance of damage increases. That would be my only take on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk By Golly I Must Say!

I am right-handed, wear my watch on my right hand mostly, but sometimes on the left just to feel different.

Its like wanking. Feels different when done with the other hand. :lol:

What's wanking ?   :partytime:   Ah this short movie might explain...........

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&ved=0CFoQtwIwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSjKBqKK4Ub8&ei=3zZ-UbOJE6eCiQe9uIGIAw&usg=AFQjCNETpddmrv4MKaitBJrNhO-xfPBHyQ&sig2=nGwOFGkqUBWskX3bnYWfhw&bvm=bv.45645796,d.aGc

I'm right handed, but I also wear my watch on my right wrist .. i've tried to switch but its too unnatural now..

anyone else grow up this way? -- it leads to a lot more dings and damage on my watches i'm afraid.

I'm the same, have done so since as long as I can remember. I think it can lead to more dings and scratches but not in all cases, the many times I've tried to switch around the other way I've knocked it into door frames and once a traffic light. I'm an awkward bstard with my left hand. :) So I'm happy with wearing them on the right, they just sit better for some reason also.

I'm right handed, but I also wear my watch on my right wrist .. i've tried to switch but its too unnatural now..

anyone else grow up this way? -- it leads to a lot more dings and damage on my watches i'm afraid.

In your case it's a matter of choice, but in general, my guess is that this iscultural. If one is right handed as the majority of people, chances are  when our dad gave us our first watch, he suggsetd to wear it on our left wrist.  As stated in this thread, because most people are right handed I feel that 50 years ago, when  people had to wind up their  watches, many didn't even remove them wfrom their wrists, and did it using their right hand. Later, with the advent of automatic movements, they just kept their watches on their lef hand. The quartz revolution, could have changed this habit, but it didn't, as 99.99 % of watches today have the crown on the right hand side  of the case.

So, all things considered, in my humble opinion, the decision about what wrist the watch will be worn has been made by the manufacture, as at the time you buy your timepiece, the crown willhave been placed to satisfy the demands of social/cultural -not technical-  demands  . Of course, you can always go against the norm if you are willing to accept the consecuences, like damaging your watch by bumping it against solid surfaces when using you right arm.

That's exactly why I wear my watches on my right wrist.. my dad did that and I wanted to be just like him.

I did consider buying a left handed Pam..

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Like I said, you are the perfect example that corroborates the norm. You wanted to be like your Dad and - legitimaly - chose to wear your watches on the right hand. Likewise, the great majority of us chose (were "told"  to by our mentors) to wear the watch on the left. 

The next question would be what percentage of the popularion choses left  or right.

I am strongly right-handed, if I try to do anything with my left hand it's totally useless.

That said, I wear my watches on my left wrist, if I put one on my right, the strap or bracelet is WAY too tight, uncomfortably so.

I measured and my right wrist is one eighth of an inch thicker than left, due to using right hand exclusively.

So I have to wear watches on left wrist only.