When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first repair

browngo1

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all the info which members have imparted over the years!

Let me explain.

I received my latest rep, from Joshua, last Thursday. A grey dial Chopard Mile Miglia GTXXL.

Delighted with the watch and have been wearing it every day since.

However, yesterday morning I picked it up to put it on and I heard a rattle. The watch was still running, so I reckoned it might not be too serious.

My first thought was that I'd need to get it posted to Domenico in Germany and get him to do a full service at the same time.

Then I remembered that I'd seen a post some time ago about a rotor coming loose.

I have a very basic set of watch tools, mainly for resizing bracelets, so I decided to take the caseback off and have a look. It couldn't do any harm if I was going to send it to Domenico anyway.

I hacked the movement and removed the eight caseback screws and lifted the back off.

Sure enough, the rotor screw was loose. I tightened it and replaced the caseback and it's as good as new.

Basically, in the past I would never have dreamt of opening a watch, let alone think that I might be able to repair something myself.

I know it was a very simple fix, in fact I've had more trouble with some bracelets, but it is a good example of how reading other members experiences increases your knowledge.

Thanks again everyone.

• Like 2