When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Rolex Explorer 1, a 1016 build. Lots of pix.

eray

Hi, all. I thought I'd share my recent 1016 build with you. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

It began as a simple, inexpensive Silix model

IMG_3638_zps0ceaebbc.jpg

Then I subjected it to some aging and made a couple of straps for it

ExpDarkLeatherRT2_zpsb1f6906a.jpeg

ExpDarkLeatherRT1_zps87bf8d76.jpeg

ExpDarkSteelRT2_zps77471c77.jpeg

ExpDarkSteelRT1_zps782f01d4.jpeg

ExpDarkBlackRT1_zpsfe9948a5.jpeg

ExpDarkBlackRT4_zpsedac416c.jpeg

ExpDarkCanvasRT1_zpsdc93fdc9.jpeg

ExpDarkBlackRT1_zpsfe9948a5.jpeg

ExpDarkBlackRT4_zpsedac416c.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all the kind words, guys. I really appreciate that. I'm totally delighted by this watch, and it proved to be a fairly straightforward build. The only non-stock part will be a Clark crystal, which is now en route.

Here are a few details about this project:

It's a bit hard to see in these pictures but I aged and dulled the case, bezel and crown quite a lot, then turned to the dial and hands. I soaked them first in espresso, then in tea, but even after an hour they refused to pick up almost any color. So what I did was paint the dial and hands with espresso, tea and a very tiny bit of shoe polish. Then I sealed this tint in with matte lacquer, flicking most of the lacquer on with a toothbrush a little at a time, and allowing it to dry between coats, because slathering it on more heavily just washed away the coffee and tea beneath. Then I baked the hands and dial for maybe ten minutes beneath a 100-watt lightbulb. And voila.

DuDro, thanks a lot regarding the strap. I was really happy with it. Unfortunately I can't point you to another one, if that's what you meant, because I decided to try my hand at strap-making and this is a one-of-a-kind piece that came from a $3 belt I got at Goodwill. It underwent treatment with several grades of sandpaper, steel wool, two colors of shoe polish, candle wax, beeswax and a few other things and came out looking rather well-used. Which is what I was hoping for.

Thanks again for the all compliments, folks. Cheers!

Great job on the dial and hands! A proper bezel and lug holes and you're home free!

Hey, jmb, thanks very much! I didn't even realize the bezel was kind of problematic until the watch was about done. Do you have a good replacement you could recommend?

this is a one-of-a-kind piece that came from a $3 belt I got at Goodwill

This is my favorite part of your build. I find a lot of cool stuff at thrift shops that I use in other things. Leather belts are the easiest thing to find and use. It's how I started in leather work too.

• Like 1