When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling On Vintage Sd Experts

M5Man

What happened to M5Man?

My dear bhoy, buy a watch that will accept genuine parts. By this I mean genuine bezels and crystals will snap on with no modifications whatsoever.

The "bug" will bite you and before long you will be as obssessed as our dear Ubiquitous, darling lad that he is. I understand he moans and writhes in his sleep about Rolexes dancing about upon his body. Let us hope you do not sink so low.

In any case (I do kill myself with my puns) you will not be satisfied with any watch as delivered. Having an accurate case will only open avenues of future modifications otherwise unavailable to you.

:winkiss:

Thanks MU, glad to see you back. Hope you're feeling better.... :wub:

:lol:

There are just some things that I know from what I've seen... With my eyes and in my hands. Experience comes from experience... Thankfully, I've been fortunate to see a few nice pieces this year...

Now, now Randy. You are assuming that only YOU have held genuine vintage Rolex's.

Now where is my eye appointment card, I still can't see any dots!!!!

155893-13754.jpg

Edited by Sherrington

Gawd......could this be any MORE boring....it's worse than the weekly meeting of The Cheltenham Ladies Macrame classes.....in fact they're more stimulating......I think I'll go and poke my eye out with a red hot needle.......now I KNOW why I always stayed away from supplying MBW watches......!

:3a:

Of the 2 genuine MKIV's that I've looked at this year, the printing dots are very apparent, especially in the dept rating. Hold it up in the light, and the dots are even more pronounced. You don't need a loupe to see it...

But, at the end of the day, I suppose there's one final question to it all: who cares? It's a rep dial... Never going to be spot on to genuine. Even if it was identical in terms of font, printing, etc, there are other tells, such as age that can't be replicated. That said, the rep dial has to please you, first and foremost. If it's acceptable with the flaws in your eyes, then that's all that should matter. The dial isn't anywhere close in my eyes, so I opt not to have it.

Bottom line... Choose what you like. It's your watch... Not mine.

Except for the Single Red SD... But that's a whole 'nother story....

But, at the end of the day, I suppose there's one final question to it all: who cares? It's a rep dial... Never going to be spot on to genuine. Even if it was identical in terms of font, printing, etc, there are other tells, such as age that can't be replicated. That said, the rep dial has to please you, first and foremost. If it's acceptable with the flaws in your eyes, then that's all that should matter. The dial isn't anywhere close in my eyes, so I opt not to have it.

I suppose at the end of the day it matters not one jot, as any WIS would out any of our reps (yours and mine included). What matters is how you feel about your own watches, and I love mine. Such great fun modding them too and such great guys on our forums to share them with.

GENUINE

156056-13678.jpg

MBW DRSD

156056-13679.jpg

I will try to do some better photos when I have the time.

I doubt any of the people we come across in our everyday lives would even know what a Rolex DRSD or 1665 is anyhow, let alone take a 20x loupe out of their pockets to see that the fonts are a series of dots or that the swiss t<25 is too far away from the 6 marker!!!!!!!!

I actually do carry a loupe in my pocket at all times; but you guys knew this already. Started the habit back in '95.

Where I live (and travel to), I meet Rolex WIS all the time. In fact, I am a Rolex WIS, but I conceal my rep identity amongst fellow WIS for various reasons. My point is that you'd be surprised with how many people do indeed know what a 1665 is, or a 5514, or a 5508, etc... You see, there is a reason as to why I carry a loupe with me all of the time!

Cheers

PS. Hi Toni!

SRSD... One to avoid in my opinion.

The MBW case is too thick for this one (the genuine was based on a Submariner case); the earliest 1665 SRSD's didn't even have HEV's! And the dial will never be right. There is one 'tell' on the genuine dial that the rep does not replicate....

Besides... The numbers of SRSD's in existance are just too few. Most have been converted to DRSD's...

i'd agree regarding sticking with the white version.

these watches are rare and expensive in the flesh with the red being even more so.

while your watch is entirely a personal choice it would make sense to avoid something thats going to attract suspiscion too much.

for me, owning a gen 5512 and about to add a 5513, the one issue with rep vintages are that the dials look, well, new. even from far away.

theres issues with font, crowns etc etc however even before this you can spot pretty easily that its not a couple of decades old from rather a large distance.

I actually do carry a loupe in my pocket at all times; but you guys knew this already. Started the habit back in '95.

Where I live (and travel to), I meet Rolex WIS all the time. In fact, I am a Rolex WIS, but I conceal my rep identity amongst fellow WIS for various reasons. My point is that you'd be surprised with how many people do indeed know what a 1665 is, or a 5514, or a 5508, etc... You see, there is a reason as to why I carry a loupe with me all of the time!

Cheers

PS. Hi Toni!

If the MBWs have a 1:1 case...and assuming you fit a gen bezel insert and T39, then how can one not argue that its a gen watch that had a redial? Just curious...

The only way to tell a gen from rep is to open it up and look at the movement...but lets say some guy on the subway pulled out a loupe and called me out on my 1665. How can he prove that I did not have redial and the watch is gen?