When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to avoid a high import tax when buying a high value gen overseas?

Hey guys,

I'm buying a high valued gen piece overseas and I was wondering how it's possible to avoid import tax + vat tax.
Mainly, if you add on the invoice and on the freight letter that the watch is being sent for repair and will be returned to the sender, would that work?

I'm not the 1st one with this question, anyone who has experience with this?

If it's insured, won't they charge import tax and vat based on that price?

Thanks!

Insure it and take the hit. You'll sleep better. If you own a business, you can always deduct the cost of shipping and taxes...

good idea.

i tried to insure a package when sending fedex and they told me the limit was $100, i wanted $200 and would have paid extra but they wouldnt do it for some reason?

Step 1: buy RT plane ticket to foreign country.

Step 2: fly to foreign country and purchase watch.

Step 3: put watch on wrist and fly home.

Quite easily done and cheaper than the ridiculous tax rate you're subjected to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

just  declare 20$ of value and enjoy the thrill of the tracking game....I mean thats all about no? Fedex and 20$ value made me a shipping of 1 day from China to EU! no kidding....

On a $300 rep, ok. On a $10k gen, no way. You lose that package and that customs declaration is all you've got.

On a $300 rep, ok. On a $10k gen, no way. You lose that package and that customs declaration is all you've got.

You may have shipped and received a thousand packages, but you stick a 10K watch in a box insure it for 20 bucks and take a chance, guaranteed that will be the one and only package to go missing!! I really believe that the idea of getting on a plane and flying over have a nice few days vacation and fly home with your new watch is a good idea. have the seller mail the box and papers, if they get lost, it's a loss, but it's not devastating. Otherwise find some courier service that will allow you to insure for full value. you will have to declare the full value to get insurance, but that's better than taking a chance on a 10K loss if the watch comes up missing.

You may have shipped and received a thousand packages, but you stick a 10K watch in a box insure it for 20 bucks and take a chance, guaranteed that will be the one and only package to go missing!! I really believe that the idea of getting on a plane and flying over have a nice few days vacation and fly home with your new watch. have the seller mail the box and papers, if they get lost, it's a loss, but it's not devastating

If you can swing it, I agree. Did it last year for one but I picked the seller to coincide with my destination. Same result. And with a used watch, no issues crossing back.