When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

111N Movement Modification (again)

omgiv

It seems that I cannot leave well enough alone. I had finished my 111N a while back but there were just a few things that bugged me. The train bridge had a mark on it from the factory that I missed in the QC pictures that made me a little sad. The movement was so beautiful except for that mark. I had not properly plated the wheels in the gear train after brushing. had also forgotten to replate the end of the swan neck from where I reshaped it. So....I decided to start all over :)

Here is my second attempt at my 111N movement. This one has the following genuine 6497-2 parts:

Center Wheel

Third Wheel

Fourth Wheel

Escape Wheel

Set Lever

Set Lever Spring

Yoke

Click

It has ETA ratchet and crown wheels as well as ETA crown, ratchet, and click screws. I prefer the ETA screws for that over the rep screws because the rep screws have an uneven cut on the bottom of the screw slot. Probably from when the slot was milled. The screws were flat polished. Other mods include:

Install an upper ETA incabloc on the balance

Shape and replate the end of the swan neck

Use a H factory swan neck adjusting screw

Flatten and polish the canon pinion

Strip and gold plat the hour wheel

The finishing touch to it all has to be marlin22's engraving of the mainplate. That little detail really pushes it over the top. I can't thank him enough and highly recommend him if you are looking for someone to perform some mods for you. Thanks again!!!

Anyway...here are some pictures of the finished movement. I have it cased currently but haven't had a chance to take any cased pictures. Thanks for looking!

IMG_1296_zps270f722f.jpg

IMG_1293_zps64238264.jpg

IMG_1297_zps3ee62a98.jpg

IMG_1298_zps43a7c90b.jpg

IMG_1299_zps47a9fb89.jpg

IMG_1300_zps83fc2d66.jpg

IMG_1304_zpsa6a7c143.jpg

IMG_1305_zps342c7c51.jpg

Holy cow!  Wow, that is superb my friend, and great macro photos.  Its a thing of beauty.

Now a dumb question, so forgive me, which engravings on the case plate did Marlin perform, was it the ETA logo, and serial/model number?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliment!  The balance wheel is the stock rep balance.  The bevels on the crown and ratchet wheels are indeed polished but perhaps not as much as the genuine.  I did't want to chance marring the rayed finish so I made the decision to leave them as is.

Stunning that, in fact inspirational!

I will be doing a few of these mods myself over the coming year, I have the gen incabloc top shock that is ready to go in. I will no doubt bugging you for some guidance along the way if that's ok?

Thanks you very much for showing us...lovely!!

Well done. :clapping:

One quickie, I'm lookin at a 111N as well. Why mod the mov't and not just buy a 111N with swiss 6847? :confused:

Is it a gamble buyin a swiss mov't?

You could buy the Swiss movement and know you are getting a solid built movement. I would still recommend a service for it either way.

It will probably still require quite a few of the modifications I did to mine. You would have to decide what flaws you could live with. The Swiss movement also beats at 18000 vs. 21600 of the genuine.

I personally wouldn't spend the extra money on a Swiss movement if you are planning on having some modify it (or doing it yourself). I would save the money and spend it on mods. The Asian movement is very good if properly serviced. Hope that helps answer your question.

• 1 month later...

marlins work on the asians are amazing and running at 21600 like then gen as well as the proper finish on the gears. I have been told this many times now by many great watchsmiths that the asian 6497 in the current rep panerais are every bit as good as a gen swiss you will buy on ebay or any other source and even better when they are serviced to the level our modders here provide.

I just picked up 7 custom built Panerai Reps all with asian movments but i dare you to find a flaw that would make you choose a swiss over this much less costly movement. I do not like to spend cash on garbage so when my watch builder said the the asian movements when reworked are fantastic and closer to gen Panerai than buying a swiss and having it reworked i did not doubt for a second that he was very much correct.