When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 Back from a trip visiting Big Daz

denimhead

Having owned over the years various Gen's and Frankens of the Vintage 1970's Subs, I decided that I'd matured into the earlier Non crown guard  beauties and it was time to put a really nice 6538 together. With an outright purchase of a Gen never really being an financial option for me, the hoarding and research began.

The Good Stuff

1. Complete Phong case, the nicest stampings I've ever seen on a case back, sorry I'm not opening the caseback!

2. Mq dial, after learning an awful lot from the Polar Bear on here (Cheers B) i decided to go with a nice gilt 2 liner. This is one of Minh's entry level dials so not in the same league as CC's but certainly a good starting point. 

3. Hand set from Michael Young at CWP, solid brass so you can merrily age away without fear of ending up with a set of silver hands. Plus he can suply the really nice white lollypop seconds hands

The really Bad stuff

4. Gen 1030 fully working(Joke) purchased from one of the esteemed members over on VRF. Never believe a bl..dy word they say!

Well to cut a long story short, the movement turned out to be a bag of Junk, i painfully started to source parts from all over the World for my watchmaker who reasured me that he was hopeful he could get it running. Sadly too hopeful, and in the end I had to admit defeat and ended up selling the movement as parts. Not a bad return in the end as it turns out.

After a bit of head scratching and decision making about keeping the remaining parts, I decided to buy an eta adapter from Yuki and snagged a very nice clean 2846 slow beat for $20.00 off fleabay, that was the movement issue resolved.

I must thank Big Daz for his sterling work to the dial and hands, This is the second re-incarnation for this dial, not only did my watchmaker fail on the movement front he also managed to deposit super glue on my already modded dial. I could hear Daz's heart sink on the phone as I merrily explained that the dial was on its way back over for a re-lume with the other parts. Well lots of Crackle Lacquer,smoke aging and a nice crumbly lume later, I've got to say I'm very happy with the results and hope its goes some way to resemble a 60 year old watch. He really did a fantastic job putting the whole watch together for me and i really can't recommend his services enough.

post-12988-0-04637400-1368617337_thumb.j

post-12988-0-23533700-1368617363_thumb.j

post-12988-0-95476200-1368617377_thumb.j

post-12988-0-00740800-1368617390_thumb.j

post-12988-0-27336700-1368617406_thumb.j

post-12988-0-38039700-1368618510_thumb.j

post-12988-0-34758500-1368618521_thumb.j

Been extremely swamped with work lately.. But starting to see a light in the tunnel, so I'm looking forward to spend more time/ be more active here again real soon! How's things coming along at your end mate?

Not Bad, the manufacturing side is slow but the retail business is picking up, mind you who the hell's going to be buying T shirts and shorts when it's 4 degrees here today :inverted:

Not Bad, the manufacturing side is slow but the retail business is picking up, mind you who the hell's going to be buying T shirts and shorts when it's 4 degrees here today :inverted:

Haha! True! Happy to hear that your retail business is on the right track! Time for a beer (or 10) soon mate! :drinks:

Haha! True! Happy to hear that your retail business is on the right track! Time for a beer (or 10) soon mate! :drinks:

Hi A, I did email Andy regarding the RWG European get together this year but hadn't heard back from him. Any ideas?

No wedding this year so no excuse :clap2:

I like it! The phong case is so sexyyy and the bezel is aged so beautifully, very nice. There are lots of negative talks about phong and his prices but I'm a true believer in you get what you pay for, I know there might be a hiccup along the way or the need to send something back every so often but the quality is unmatched. Enjoy!! :)

I like it! The phong case is so sexyyy and the bezel is aged so beautifully, very nice. There are lots of negative talks about phong and his prices but I'm a true believer in you get what you pay for, I know there might be a hiccup along the way or the need to send something back every so often but the quality is unmatched. Enjoy!! :)

High praise in deed from the Non crown guard master himself!!! Glad you like it mate

Looks good Mark

On the EU GtG I need to see how the plans fall on the knocking down of the old house and when that may happen as there is a lot of work for me there to do but I will see. The plan was for me to host this year so i will get onto it.

Except for 1 detail, well done.

The 1 detail is the NOS-looking white seconds hand on a 60+ year old watch. You might consider baking it for a wee bit to tone down the brightness. I would also carefully file or sand the edges of the hand (actually, you could do them all, but the white highlights the edges more than steel) to flatten the roundness, which is another dead giveaway (Rolex hands have square sides)

066mut1.jpg

059mut21.jpg

You guys should try a group buy. I know a few guys who are about to buy a couple of cases. The lowest he is willing to go is 1450$ but in a group buy it may be better. Just a thought

Phong said if you buy 5 cases he will sell them at $1250.