When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7206 bracelet review

Nanuq

I've been looking for a good folded riveted 7206 since Yuki quit carrying them. I finally tried the one Minh Quy offers as his "special quality" piece.

I'm sorry to say I cannot recommend it. Even though it costs nearly 3x what Yuki charged for his, the quality is nonexistent.

On the 6:00 side of the band the links taper down in width as expected. On the 12:00 side two adjacent links are the same width so the taper is wrong.

The coronet on the clasp is very poorly formed. It's clownish.

The clasp won't click shut, as delivered. It sorta stays but there's no definite click. No amount of bending and tweaking will fix it. I had to cobble in an old Yuki clasp.

The endlinks are made of extremely thin metal so they're incredibly easy to bend out of shape. That being said, the curve apex at the springbar tube in the endlink is too acute, so I cannot get the right shape for a 6538 case. I can make it look "okay" but not "right." The Yuki band was trivially easy to shape right.

A rivet head on the 12:00 end of the band was far too tall so it hit the lug and the springbar would not click into its hole. I filed it down until it works.

Finally, the 6:00 end fits like a dream but the 12:00 end is too wide for the 20mm lugs. It took a lot of filing to get it to pop in place, and it still doesn't fit nearly as nice as the 6:00 side.

Bottom line, this is an overpriced piece of crap. If you're diligent you can make it work. But it's not even in the same league as Yuki's $110 bands were.

Alternatives? Non-existent. Let's hope Yuki comes up with more of his, although having handled both I suspect they're from the same factory.

• Like 1

I picked up a couple here http://www.watchtailor.com/metal-watch-bands.html (needed two to make one for me) . Clasp sterile so you need to source unless you have, as to quality never got around to messing with sold to MD2020 he has been using per his pics (1680) so give him a shout.

PS at 45 bucks not a big deal to give a try.

Edited by Mike on a bike

I really don't think any good ones exist. I bought a phong expansion model, for my 6542.End links are wrong, bracelet is incredibly stiff, which I know can be corrected by a good oil soak, It was 300 USD and I wouldn't think that it is worth that. I decided to change out my 7206 for an old Jubilee which feels a lot better and looks pretty good on the watch, even though it's not exactly period correct.

• 7 months later...