When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

need tips with portugues

peter29

hello,

Recently, I signed up at rwg. As a watch lover, I study the site daily. The IWC area is one of my favorites. My favorite watch is the iwc potuguese 3714. silver dail with black / blue strap.

This watch has a now ex colleague brought me from Malaysia. the watch looks great.

The only problem is that the watch very often stops. I can not say when because it is each time at a different time. He often does stop very quickly.

my question is:

what I'm doing wrong?
Maybe I wind the watch or the wrong way?

Like your help / tips

thank you!

Your not doing anything wrong, this movement has the second hand running @6 which is problmatic. The normal setup for a 7750 is running secs at 9 and to get it to run at 6 they need to add a plate with a few extra transfer gears to transfer the power to the 6 position. The gears add alot of friction which with the combination of a dirty movt it will stop. Getting it serviced should help but it doesnt always fix the problem.

+1

I understand you wind it manually? Stop doing that as well. 7750's don't like to be manually winded

Ok so no definition of gently, so i will just add this

if you can avoid winding an A7750 then avoid it, one of the transfer gears has weak teeth, if the reversing wheel is sticky the weight of the rotor trying to spin will break the teeth off and then you are up the creak with out a paddle

Thank you all for your comments.

I have finally decided to purchase a new replica. I read on this forum very much about joshua from perfect clones and andrew of trusty time. has anyone experiences with them or does anyone has tips for me where I could order this beautiful watch.

I also read that a new version is going to come with a new crown, improved dial, brushed caseback, and individual serial numbers, is there allready a preferred dealer to order it from? ( i am sorry for my bad english)

many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

If it feels like you are breaking some thing you already have, just dont hand wind them if you dont have to, if Ziggys posts are still available he gave a very in depth post on this and i have seen the damage my self and had to repair it on more than one occasion. 

You have to remember that some people are mechanicaly sympathatic, other would describe them selfs as "ham fisted" just look at Nanuq!

Hello everybody,

as I said the watch is regularly silent.

Does anyone know if this is repairable? I do not want to spend too much money here. Otherwise I prefer to wait for the V2. Does anyone know if this watch (v2) is already on sale? And by which prefered dealer ?

Peter there are amultitude of posts about 7750 seconds at 6 and the reasons why it stops 

In short the movement has a number of transfer gears to move the seconds from 9 to 6 these have too much friction due to no jewels fitted, it is an engineering example of a flawed idea, there are fixes, but non are totaly proven, non are cheep, take a week off and search and read, (it will take you that long, the daytona's have the same issue)

And that is the reason i dont have a 3714, even though i love them just like you. As a stock rep it is not great apart from on the shelf to look at.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a watchmaker friend who said he could add a jewel to the 6 spot. What do you think the odds are that could be done with success on the Asian Mov.?

No idea but if it was as simple as that, I would think it would have been documented by now. Unless, no one actually thought of it yet.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I finally found my favorite watch.

http://www.tswatchltd.com/13823-iwc13823-iwc-portuguese-v2-white-ss-croco-asian-7750-28800bph.html

at www.tswatchltd.com

The only problem is this is not only trusted dealer.(scam?) And all the trusted dealers haven't good this watch (white/silver dail)

Does anyone have experience with this dealer?

Do you expect I get the same problems with this watch as the first watch I bought. (see above)

every advise is more than welcome.

I hope someone can help me.

greetings,

Peter