When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does all gen sub have cap cover on the hole of second hand

Erict719

as I search . the second hand have a nice cover on he hole in the middle, as all our rep doesn't.

however, I seen many picture of Gen which also have a hole in the middle, such as F series.

so... Does it mean which ever rolex we see having the hole is a rep??

Oh right, my bad then, I thought the Cannon Pinion #4 on the TC for example was more gen like, which TC's photo comparison shows.  This is why I referred to the cannon pinion to the OP as he's referring to the second hand top which connects to the second wheel gear, no?

The cannon pinion is the wheel which carries the minute hand and is driven by friction from the shaft of the fourth wheel (which carries the second hand).

When you do a cannon pinion swap on an ETA 28xx to the H4 height, you need to swap the cannon pinion, hour wheel, and fourth wheel. It's not just one part.

• Like 1

Those photos have the hole though, not cap Snead.

You seem to be correcting me a lot lately mate, and I don't feel victimised, but like I said, Im still learning, and this cap thing I was reading about it from Basel news, but obviously I misread it then.

Those photos have the hole though, not cap Snead.

No, they don't.

This is the hole:

rolex_image.2311723.jpg

The Sub LV posted above has the cap. Even in macro pictures, it's hard to tell because the geometry of the cap means that there's usually a black reflection in the center, but the 16610 Submariner definitely has had the cap for at least 15-20 years.

IMGP4947_1024.JPG

You can clearly see how tricky it is with the light in these two pictures, the cap is clear in this one

sub1a.jpg

but it looks like there's a hole in the center in this pic

sub1.jpg

Same watch shot at the same time, it's just a difference in the reflections.

You seem to be correcting me a lot lately mate, and I don't feel victimised, but like I said, Im still learning, and this cap thing I was reading about it from Basel news, but obviously I misread it then.

I don't know what to tell you. When you say things that are incorrect, expect to be corrected.

"Its only on the new Rolexes released at Basel this year that have the cap from what I can tell..."

Maybe they started using 'blind' rivets in the tubes in the ss hands instead of the 'hollow head' rivet method used on earlier models. Almost all ss hands on most brands just have the end of the ss tube turned over into a ring to hold the hand on the tube. Latest model rlx might use a separate rivet pressed into the tube like a bracelet hinge pin...they would have to be very small though.

I never see the latest models because I have not been in a rlx AD for 10 years and since this is a Timex/Seiko/Citizen town, I will probably never see one in the wild.