When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Golf Clubs?

redmond

Hello all,

I have noticed many replica golf clubs around from China, plus the fact that most top brand clubs are manufactured in China now. I am wondering is there a place around like RWG that has info about ordering good quality rep clubs?

Cheers

From experience I would avoid rep golf clubs, I bought a set once and they are very poorly made.

The difference between rep clubs and rep watches is that you are buying clubs to improve your game in an already difficult sport, we all know that rep watches dont perform as well as gens but they do a good job at immitating them, with golf clubs your looking for an improvement, and reps, unfortunately, dont cut it.

My advice would be to look for a used set on ebay, stick to the big names and look for something made within the last 2/3 years. Golf technology, no matter how much they bang on about it, hasnt improved that much over that course of time.

Just my 2c........... B)

As above, I would avoid them as they are made to cosmetically look like the real things.

Points like weight, strength and density don't really concern the makers.

Ken

I bought a top of the line set of pings a few years ago and they didn't hit worth a shot so I sold them cheep Ald went back to my galaxy's then to a set of hybrids great after 50 years of playing got me my first  and only hole in one. That was the last year I was able to play before  becoming disabled and have since sold all of my clubs, but still have about 3 pair of top of the line shoes, Ralph Lauren polo , Tommy Bahamma,and addidas 360 all in great  condition sizes range from 9 1/2 to 10' l sure miss the game but just can't stand or walk long anymore

This is just crazy...I am not sure what the price difference will be.  I am no golf expert, and mostly just trot down to the driving range once in a while, but a pretty good set of clubs can be had around a thousand.  I would buy a set of used clubs well before i would buy replicas...  When it comes to sports you are buying things for functionality not looks, as opposed to buying a watch or clothes for example.  Just my 2 cents.  And to add, most things may be made in china or else where these days, but what differentiates the replicas you speak off and ones I may find at [censored]'s sporting goods or a golf store is that anything that enters the US and has to be sold to the general public must pass quality control

Edited by Kl2onik

Thanks, lots of interesting points being made. I have to agree with what has been said in that watch replicas are worth buying because they look the part, which really is the main reason people buy watches - I mean an iphone keeps excellent time. And with golf the most important thing is function. I guess my thoughts were there are a tonne of rep golf clubs being made in China - if it's anything like the watch game some will actually do a good job of it. So maybe their are some factories that make a decent set of clubs that can be bought for a fraction of the cost.

Also unlike watches which are Swiss made, golf clubs are all manufactured in China anyway, so the industry expertise is their already. I was trying to buy one Mizuno MP 69 rep iron from a factory in China, but they will only sell the whole set of irons. My brother has the genuine article so I was very interested to directly compare the two. I also wonder if golf clubs are actually that hard to rep as oppose to say an intricate watch.

Probably these factories are set up to make quick profits by producing good looking clubs. They don't care about reputation so if the clubs are clangers then they don't care. Thanks again!

Some will indeed be good, my people have told me that some are actually sold as gen.

However that means you will be paying almost gen price for replica, it is also extremely hard to sort through the good and bad, I know as customers have asked me to try before.

Ken

Using the term "Rep" is too good for 100% of the "non-genuine" clubs I've seen. "Fake" or "Knockoff" are more fitting.

I've spent a lot if time in the golf industry, and seen hundreds of fake clubs. The difference between rep watches and fake clubs is significant. The QC isn't there. The manufacturing process may make the product LOOK like the real club, but the materials are often wrong and that makes a big difference.

If you want to save a buck, buy a set if used clubs from a local course (or country club)

Heres a pic of the club making room in My Dad's basement. He does a lot of the work for many of the country clubs in the area.

post-53458-136998713583.jpg

Stay away from those China fake golf clubs.

Just imagine the damage done by a club iron flying around the golf course after hittng the ball.

Just my 2 cent

Cats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had a cheap set of Ram clubs. Driver head flew off in the driving range. Thankfully it didn't hit anyone.

This can also happen to expensive clubs, I had a cleveland launcher and the head flew off at about 100 miles an hour on to the opposite fairway! Thanks god it was quiet that day! :fool:

No point in rep clubs really ... as other have said, you can easily find used, or even better can often find last year's models selling for less than half of their 'new' price. For the beginner to someone who shoots 85, you aren't going to know the difference.

• 4 months later...