When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

eBay Whoops!

CptTripps

So last week, I accidentally put a watch in my "cart" on eBay instead of adding it to my "watch list".

I had a few things this weekend that I bought, and I didn't notice that one of them was a watch.

So today, I get a package that I wasn't expecting...and inside is a "Gallet Multichron 12" with a nice note from the seller.

Whoops!

A little research on it, and low-and-behold, it appears that I have a pretty cool watch here.

http://www.galletworld.com/gallet_watch_multichron_12.html

I don't know that I'll keep it, but I'll certainly put a better bracelet on it, clean it up a little, and re-list it. (Hopefully, for a few extra $ than I spent!)

post-53458-0-91989400-1369926507_thumb.j

post-53458-0-39825900-1369926728_thumb.j

It was only ~$700. So I think I did alright.

I'm going to pull the movement and see if it does fit the dial I have coming. Could be very cool indeed.

Honestly, if I can get it cleaned up and presentable, I'm all over flipping it!

The movement is also incredible. Inside is the Excesior Park 40, a column wheel movement with beautiful Côtes de Genève finishing. Excelsior Park movements also found their way into Zenith chronographs from the period. There were even some watches branded Excelsior Park that seem to have been Gallet watches made for the European market, such as this one.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/ask-us-anything-what-are-great-vintage-chronographs-for-under-a-grand

Sorry Mike. Just 2 boys...6 and 4.

I'm actually quite perplexed by this watch. I'm trying to take the movement out and I can't find a way to do it. I've removed the two case screws, and poked around under a few of the springs to no avail.

Nope...not out the front either. I pulled the crystal. 

I'm also having a doosey of a time trying to get the hands off. I have the sweeper/second hand off, but it almost feels like I'd break the thing if I pulled any harder on the minute hand to remove it.

...and the movement won't come out the front either.

Any ideas?

post-53458-0-38720200-1370019991_thumb.j

See i knew it was front loading after seeing those screws in the back of it. lol No grinders needed here Fraggle lol

But angle grinding it would be so much more FUN!! :)

Which screws gave the game away? The two at 2 and 7 o'clock in the picture of the back? (O'clock numbers reading as the watch is, not after straightening it up!)

Richard

2-7 were the screws...but the key was taking the bezel and crystal off. ;-)

It really is a nice ticker! There's a Clebar on eBay right now that's a dead clone...with a V72 movement though. In wonder if this really is compatible.

I'm going to see if it'll fit. I have one of Phong's cases, so as soon as I get it back from Mike, il going to see what happens. The dial is another story. May need to mod the dial to work. I'm expecting a new/better PN dial in a few months, so perhaps I'll look then.

I'll tell you what though...it's only dropped 6sec in 4 days!