When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Unimpressed with Pure Time Double Red SeaDweller

drainaps

Good morning,

I just got hold of a Pure Time ETA-based 1665 Double Red yesterday. On arrival, bezel spinned quite freely and I decided to pop the bezel out., something I've done regularly to gen watches.

I was in for a big surprise (or not, after all it's a replica). The bezel came out with the plexy and found myself staring at the nude dial and hands.

No panic as I'm familiar with watches, but on dissecting the Pure Time Bezel, I could realize how many shortcuts had been taken (nylon gasket, bezel -retainer ring set, etc) to make it cost-efficient. I also realized there's no way this base can take a gen bezel without some serious modifications.

I'm a practical boy and before getting into machining, I'd rather savage the movement, dial, hands, etc and move everything into a midcase that can take a gen bezel.

Would any of you gents tell me where I can find that mid case? I might also consider buying a full watch with a case that can take gen parts, and just write off the Pure Time as my entry ticket into this fascinating world.

Your help will be most appreciated.

Try to find an old MBW case, accepts gen parts, it's probably the base for a very large percent of the franken 1665 builds on the forumSent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks. Really appreciated. Other than the bezel issues, and the newish look, I'd say it looks quite the part. I have a gen 1665 rail and also have sourced the 1665 Comex from Pure Time (exact same Stern dial on both, one with, one without the Comex logo), and it's quite good off the box.

Biggest tells IMHO:

- Crown guards and crown size.

-Lugs not beveled in PT's.

-Shiny lume plots in the rep. Color-wise, they are quite ok.

- "Less than" sign in T< 25 too open.

-Seconds hand lume plot too far from tip, but there are different generations of gen seconds hands for subs and SDs, so this one can be forgiven.

Instant give aways for people familiar with the real thing, if you give more than a casual look to the watch, but still 70% good. It's sad that the bezel is a mess, and a deal-breaker to me, as it could otherwise be a great starting point towards a great build.

I'll start looking for the MBW case.

Edited by drainaps

This is a long time issue with the 1665 rep, maybe a little more research would have prevented a surprise.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=124121

Hi and thanks for your heads up. I did research the thread you kindly mention before buying, but I frankly thought the bezel was not as lose as it really is. A PITA.

Frankly, I was not into upgrading the replica, as I already own a gen 1665 rail, but rather into using it off the box, so, a priori, it was not a major issue to me. Only the loooose bezel made me upset, once i got the watch, hence the bezel surgery that followed.

As mentioned in my previous post, that bezel is a deal killer to me, both for its usability off the box (or rather lack of), and the impossibility to upgrade it without serious metal cutting. A pity as hands and dial are quite good, and CGs meaty enough for a decent reshaping job.

There ia an MBW 1665 case set for sale in the tools and parts section here. Seller is a top notch guy. Case has been modded, gen crystal, and an ingod44 dial as well.you could always sell the dial if it's not what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep, if you're not into modding watches, the PT 1665 is a challenge.

Like Bonesey, I got a custom crystal retention ring from jmb, but alas, I'm afraid jmb has crashed and burned and may be out of the rep business these days.

Now you might be able to pick up a bezel assembly from WSO or Clark's, but at that point an MBW 1665 might be the easiest route.

But remember, an MBW takes a lot of work also. Drill the lugholes, trim the cgs, gen crown and tube, maybe even get a suitable bracelet, new tropic crystal...

there is no easy out of the box 1665.

My GWSD was a nice medium range (c.$400) rep- it's a PT. Sorry for the crappy pic!

P1010106.jpg

jmb crystal retention ring

gen crown and aftermarket tube

trim the insides of the cgs

GS aftermarket crystal

MBW GWSD dial

2846-2 movt w/ the silver DWO

watch is WR and been rode hard- it's been a good beater.