When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch crystal press

danielv2000

The cheap ones are fine, but you may find yourself having to buy extra dies for larger watches.  I found with the cheapie I got the dies only went up to 40mm.  I purchased an more expensive press in the end, which has dies up to 48mm.

If you plan to press flat mineral glass and sapphire crystals into cases with plastic crystal gaskets and/or rolex types with bezels pressed down over gaskets or crystals...a press with metal cups is better because plastic cups will distort and not press crystals/bezels down flat and level causing chipped mg/saph crystals or scratched sidewalls on acrylic crystals.

For pressing casebacks on and light work the plastic cups will work fine.

Tapered plastic cups are also good for mounting snap in type acrylic crystals...GS PHD type etc.

A press like pictured in post #4 has small posts that do not offer much support to the cups...it is fine for light jobs though.

I can't speak about watch tools, all I have are the basic things to change bracelets, open case backs, size bracelets, etc.b but I do have a big collection of shop tools, hand tools etc. Pretty much everything you would need around a farm shop. Over the years I have found that unless a tool is only going to be used very infrequently and for light duty, cheap tools are "penny wise and pound foolish" Cheap wrenches don't fit as well, they are not as strong, and the finish is not as good. Same with cheap power tools, they have a very short half life when used hard. My feelings about tools are buy the best tools that you can afford. If it's your profession, then you need the best most precise, rugged and user friendly tools available. Look at what the guys who make a living with their tools use. Go in the back of any auto, truck service area and see what the mechanics are using. I bet that about 90% are using Snap On tools. Why, because they are the best. So if you have a use for a tool that is going to be used once in a blue moon, then the cheapos are fine, but if you are using it regular or it's your livelihood, then the best is what you need.

The dies that come with the cheap press work well in a hobby vise. But for under $10, I think it's a great tool for those of us who only use a press occasionally. It presses the sapphire crystals with ease, not much pressure is required to seat the crystal in the gasket, just a level press and the correct size die.  The acrylic crystals are a bit tougher to seat, but it just takes more hand pressure. I noticed that this is the type of press Walmart uses in their jewelry department to press casebacks when selling batteries. So it has some durability when used properly.  

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a cheapo one from eBay and it does ok for me.  However, I haven't waterproofed anything.  Also, I have a lot of issue pressing crystals on that need gaskets.  I still haven't figured out that trick yet.  

On another note, are cheap hand presses like this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deluxe-Watch-Presto-Plunger-Press-5-Presser-Hands-Fitting-Repair-Watchmaker-Too-/330737760415?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4d0181b89f) worth purchasing?