When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First Watch Suggestions (on a budget)

CollegeWatch

Hi guys,

So I am looking for my first watch and after doing some searching on this site I think I might look into silix-prime to buy my first watch. I'm looking more at their economy watches as I'm strapped for cash (college fees and such) but I just wanted some advice on what to pick. I realize final choice will be mine but I really need some ideas as I'm totally new to all of this and not sure if some replicas are better than others or if their is anything to avoid. I would be much appreciative if anyone could help me! I am male and would like to wear this watch on special occasions and on the odd occasion to University!

Regards and look forward to hearing some suggestions,

CollegeWatch

Edited by CollegeWatch

My advice would to be to avoid a rep of an outrageously expensive gen. No one is going to believe you can afford a $20k watch. Avoid a Rolex, I wore a gen Datejust in college and got asked constantly if it was fake.

I've purchased watches from Silix several times and was happy with their products & service. I haven't bought any of their economy watches so can't comment on their quality. With rep watches, like most other things, you get what you pay for.

You may want to consider a reasonably priced gen. thewatchery.com, ashford.com and creationwatches.com are worth checking out. Buying an inexpensive gen will have several advantages over a cheap rep, i.e. warranty, serviceability, customer service, etc.

how much your budget is would help..., if its a first ever watch, id consider something gen from Seiko...a Seiko 5 auto, skx009 or 007 etc...very cheap but fantastic watches backed up by a gen warranty...if it has to be a rep, a dg4813 version planet ocean is pretty spot on...again though knowing the budget will get you more suggestions, also don't take this the wrong way, but as has been said, don't just get one to make people think your something your not, a $100 Seiko will serve you a lot better than a $100 rep...

Op - if like most of us get into this hobby, you're unlikely to stop in buying just 1 rep.

So, on that basis I will suggest you save your bucks and not bother entering this hobby till you have a job. Or save up and buy the best you can afford.

Enjoy the journey

Masmannan

Unless there is a watch that YOU like (in which case, you would not be asking which watch to buy), I would skip reps altogether & go with a Casio, Seiko or Timex. These gens are built better, will last longer, can be easily exchanged/returned under warranty (without having to deal with international shipping/customs issues), rarely arrive with broken/misaligned bits (a common issue with reps, especially those from sellers' budget lines) & come without the added risk of you're being outed as a poseur wearing a rep.

Op - if like most of us get into this hobby, you're unlikely to stop in buying just 1 rep.

So, on that basis I will suggest you save your bucks and not bother entering this hobby till you have a job. Or save up and buy the best you can afford.

Enjoy the journey

Masmannan

I agree. This hobby isn't for the faint hearted. It can be stressful to some degree. Customs delays, shipping delays, miscommunication between buyer and seller. Multitude of different advice techniques and opinions. It all can get pretty pricey too. I'll be willing to bet there isn't a single soul on this forum that only bought one rep and said " Ok I'm satisfied, now on to something else".

I'd suggest keeping an eye out on the daily wrist checks and the sales forum. That's actually where I learned a lot of my knowledge from. Different brands, models, movements...... Ect. Our members here do a fine job at describing their watches and many chime in to bring other details and opinions. Plus, they post a ton of pics to help you get familiar with the jargon.

You've come to the right place my friend. Enjoy and keep us posted if you've decided on your "first love".

SEIKO Black Monster is a great watch with the best lume on the planet.  

Looks really classy on a the ss band, and even better on rubber bracelet.

Lasts forever, looks really nice on the wrist, and costs a couple hundred bucks.  Better deal than almost any rep.

Check it out online.

If you aren't about divers then look at the rest of the Seiko line for pilots, chrono's or almost any look in dress watches.

Casio's, Invicta's, Timex's, are good cheap (inexpensive) watches, but IMO not as good looking or as well made as a standard Seiko.

Edited by jeff g