When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tutorial datewheel overlay swap on the 2824 movement

rsh

I found that a dwo swap on the 2824-2 is more challenging than the 2836. If not done right, it can lead to your dwo sticking or more confusingly shifting off the datewheel itself. This is because the 2824 datewheel is flat. The 2836 dw is not flat and has a higher platform that rides above the level of the movement. The flat 2824 dw literally sits below the level of the keyless works cover, I think it is part 462 in this link
Http://www.ofrei.com/page1232.html

When you attach the dwo, it rubs on that metal cover and dislodges the dwo. The 2836 does not have this problem since the elevation built into the actual datewheel lifts the dwo over this cover.

Solution – elevate the dwo a bit. TC uses dial dots to achieve this and attach his dwo – I don’t like this, it makes it impossible to fine adjust the dwo.

Here is tc dwo with dial dots

DSCN9891_zps23594dd9.jpg

Once you remove the movement from the watch, you remove the dial and hands by releasing the tab holding the dial feet, one of the 2 tabs is near the bottom in this pic

DSCN9887_zps5648192d.jpg

Underside pic

DSCN9888_zps79f5cc9a.jpg

My solution, take a piece of sticky paper, such as any labels you can print on. Use the dwo and draw outline of the dwo. Cut the circle out and fold it and cut the inner aspect out. Attach it to the bottom of the dwo but only on the outer perimeter so that the inner perimeter is clear of anything. This simple trick gives you a bit thicker dwo on the outer edge and is enough to elevate the dwo

DSCN9892_zpsa70eee49.jpg

DSCN9894_zps17e69809.jpg

I use this stuff, as it dries fairly slowly, 5-10 min work time

DSCN9895_zpsb0a8fac7.jpg

I use a small amount of the adhesive on the actual datewheel, small amount is key

You then set the dwo on top and place the dial on there, if not well aligned, remove the dial and adjust the dwo, make sure you check the alignment with different dates

At the end, you can have something like this

Tip: use gloves to handle dial so that it is not damaged during this alignment process

DSCN9900_zpse1ee9ce7.jpg

Nice job!!

I received a tc lv kit to build myself last week and encountered the same issue. I used another date wheel filed down and teeth removed to space away and still cleared the dial thankfully. Will try your method should I need to re do after a service.