When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5510 price suggestion.

Elliaz

Dear readers on RWG!

I am in a pursuit of a vintage Sub and have stumbled on a seller whom is selling a 5510 which appear to be franken, the seller states that that the case have been replaced with a "high quality" one... What should be a common pricerange for a 5510 w/ franken case in rather good condition?

Thank you,

Youra truly, Elias.

http://vintagewatchesmq.com/minhquy/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=868&category_id=79&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Is the direct link to the object and here is the answer by e-mail:

Dear Elias Antoine Kreidy,

This Rolex 5510 come with only case replacement. Movement, hands original and Dial number 3-6-9 depth gilt dial super glossy has professionally refinished. We has vintage Watches shop at 103 Dong Khoi street Dist 1 Ho chi Minh in Vietnam , we business vintage watch more twenty years ago.

We looking forward to having business with you. Thanks

Best regards

Minh Quy

?

Yours,

EliasAntoine

Oh, when Minh says it's all genuine but the case :notworthy: I trust his words ...

NOT

Edith: to be more clear... he claims in his mail, that everything is genuine BUT the case, then he says refinished dial (which is just another term for: fake dial) ... So the Rolex movement is gen, no doubt,

but what else?

BTW: What d'you want? A nice Franken 5510 or a cheap genuine one?

Edited by 1680
  • Like 1

Ok so he's lying about the hands, they are not original, they are aftermarket. The dial is his, it's ok but not great. The movement is right. It's not a Franken just because it has a gen movement and a 1680 insert.. His cases do accept gen parts but a t17 needs slight shaving to fit. If you can get it cheep enough it may be worth it as a base to make a real Franken but I know he prob wants a lot so stay away, build your own based on his case or phong's

• Like 1

I always ask myself a few questions...

The questions might be:

How much $$ is it going to cost?

How much is it really worth?

How much $$ would it cost to have one just like it made by a trustworthy modder (or do it myself)?

Is a genuine rolex movement important or would an Eta suffice? (Rolex 1530 escapement parts are getting hard to find)

Rules of thumb:

Eta = half price.

3-6-9 dials scream Fake!

Alternatives:

Make one just like it with first class dial and a lower cost case with Eta movement. Helenarou has one with all but the crown and dial for about $550US...but it has a sapphire crystal.

Buy one ready made from a TD and have it modified.

Buy a genuine 5513 etc.

• Like 1

Looks like to me that all you get that's original is the insert and the movement- everything else is rep!

And I agree, 1530 parts are getting scarce.

I think you'd be better off building a rep with a 2846-2 movement and some good quality rep parts. Depending on how resourceful you are, you could do it for $500+ and it certainly beats spending $2K for a Minh Quy rep.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies, they're much appreciated!

As a student working two jobs I have managed to save some money up, I just paid of my twotoned Daytona and I am eager to start a new project, either a 1675 or 5508, 5510 preferably a pre 5512-13! An older SD is also of interest :)
I would prefer to have an all gen or myself assemble a franken, but not to much of a rep. My "dream" sub would be a 365 gen dial/hands w/ gen bezel, T19 Service dome (Aftermarket) and gen movement, of course this could differ! :) My budget is apprx. 3000 usd!

I am relatively new to the Vintage market and would like to see my hobby not only as a hobby I love but also a postgraduation investment in myself!

Yours truly,
EliasAntoine. B)

Edited by EliasAntoine

Elias, all i would say to you is this. Before you jump off the deep end of the pier, you need to check the water depth and sharks!!! Ming is a shark! He can smell a noob a mile away. I would stay away from his stuff until you are comfortable telling the really good stuff from the junk. You need to do a lot of reading, research and more reading. You don!'t want to end up paying 3K for a 500 dollar watch, which is very possible when you deal with some of those aftermarket sellers who tell you it has and aftermarket case but everything else is gen, but,but,but. I would take the advice of the guys here who have built beautiful frankens, and not have to take out a second mortgage on their house to do it. Start small, do your research and work your way up to the really super reps.

• Like 1

First of all, nothing beats a gen. A 1675 is still reasonable, you might find one for $3K-4K. The 5508/5510 and 1665 are going to run $8K and up. So a 1675 is going to be your best bet, costwise.

A franken is always a franken, it's not a gen. The value of a franken is in the parts that were used to build the watch and the watch may have to be disassembled and the parts sold off individually to realize that value. And parts are getting harder to find. Gen owners and franken builders are competing for the same small pool of parts. Rolex no longer makes any of these parts and hasn't for say 20 years. A franken isn't really an investment, it's a love and there's no real money in love!

The most expensive part of a franken is generally the movement- a 1530, 1520 or a 1575 are typical. But since Rolex no longer services these movements, and parts are getting harder to find, you have to wonder if it's really worth it to use an old movement. You have to figure a service also when using an old movement, $200-300, and there's always the possibility of getting a dud. No one ever sees the movement unless you remove the caseback.

The frankens I like the most these days are the ones that typically run $500-1000 to build. Some of them aren't even frankens, they're just fine reps!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments!! I am learning new stuff all the time and getting really thrilled :)

An all gen watch would be preferable and I would love me a 1675 or older sub/sd  :lol:  unfortunately I can only find gens which are too expensive and would not be an investment unfortunately. Now for the building of a watch... I love it how you all are full of education and information on the topics and wish to achieve the same, I am learning a lot from you and the forum yet there are a whole lot of things one need to get more knowledge of like what fits with what, which is preferable to this and that and whom to ask when in need :huh: :huh:

Yours truly
EliasAntoine