When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 case issue

HAMMER DOWN

I have run into an issue with a 1680 project. The watch was originally from Andrew at TT and had the slow beat 2846. "Cartel 1680"

Not sure if you guys are familiar with this case but it is a thinner profile than gen, more like a GMT case. The lug holes are appropriately sized for 2mm springbars out of the box, but the issues see is the crown is positioned too low on the case.

This is causing me to have problems getting the dial to sit all the way against the edge of the rehaut without an unsightly gap. If the dial is positioned correctly against the rehaut without a gap, the stem is being bent upwards, and the watch doesn't wind, quickset date, or anything very well. I don't feel a positive dentent with the stem being pushed out of alignment like that...and it's probably not good for the keyless works.

I've tried to space out the dial so it sits flush with the rehaut, while trying to keep the stem alignment good. That didn't work because the dial was spaced out so far that the hour hand rubbed the dial.

Did anyone gave this problem with a cartel case? Is there any kind of solution?

I never heard of that problem to be honest. Can you confirm it has a 2846 inside? For me it sound more like a 2824 movement in a 2836(/2846) case.

You got my attention here...

I have had two different 2846 movements installed, both "rebuilt" but gave me tons of grief. I recently swapped in an old 2824 Swiss ETA elabore movement thinking that it would be interchangeable with the 2846. I guess I was wrong!

I take it that there is not a lot I can do about this problem.

You got my attention here...

I have had two different 2846 movements installed, both "rebuilt" but gave me tons of grief. I recently swapped in an old 2824 Swiss ETA elabore movement thinking that it would be interchangeable with the 2846. I guess I was wrong!

I take it that there is not a lot I can do about this problem.

Really not. A case is designed a built for a particular movement spec, which is the total depth of the case and, more importantly, the distance from the dial surface to the center of the case tube. The ETA 2824-2 does not fit the same case as a 2836 or 2846, which are the same spec.

Do you have the small, round spacer that fits between the bottom of the dial & movement plate

post-3175-0-00720700-1375208466_thumb.jp

I am not familiar with that particular case, but, generally, without the ring, the movement will sit too low in the case, leaving a gap between the dial & rehaut, which sounds like the problem you are having.

Case originally came with a 2846, he swapped in a 2824 which is a different height, correct? But the 2846 and 2836 are the same, so why not swap in a 2836? If the original movement fit OK, the 2836 should as well.

^Yes, that is what I understand...that is what i was thinking too. I will try a 2836-2. I have a good running 2836-2 that I swapped in the 1680 for a while, but it doesn't have a date. I didn't notice an issue with crown height etc.

I am done with the 2846, didn't have much luck with them. It is a shame about this 2824. It is the nicest eta movement I've had my hands on.

So let me ask you guys this, what about a 2824-2? ..Dimensionally the same as 2824?

Did someone remove the date mechanism, or is it just lacking the datewheel?

Too bad you have had such bad luck with the 2846, I've had several, in fact have a couple in watches right now. The key to these is a proper service, clean oil adjust, and replace parts that are on the verge of wearing out.These are 20+ year old movements, some of them are indeed way past their prime. Still possible to find them occasionally in NOS condition, but even those require a service.

I had a 5512 rep (no-date) with a Swiss 2836-2. I robbed the movt. from the 5512 for my 1680. The datewheel and associated running gear was not present on the movement.

I tried to get one of the 2846 serviced by a reputable member on another board, but he wasn't as familiar with them and reluctant to take on the work. I then bought a rebuilt 2846 from smith's supply company when they were ~78 bucks, It kept excellent time but ended up having the same problem with this one after a few weeks. I am not quite sure what is happening, but the movt. does not want to run at all. If somebody is willing to take a look at them and get one of them to work, I might be more inclined to change my mind about the 2846.

"I take it that there is not a lot I can do about this problem."

When you swap a 2836/46 out for a 2824...the dial/movement combo is too thin and will be loose in the case and the stem/crown will not line up. There is no easy fix except to use a 2836/46 base movement.

"So let me ask you guys this, what about a 2824-2? ..Dimensionally the same as 2824?"

Exactly the same.

"I tried to get one of the 2846 serviced by a reputable member on another board, but he wasn't as familiar with them and reluctant to take on the work."

To get it fixed, dial MD2020.

I have a few 2846's and all have run well.

There's a seller on eBay that sells them brand new for 100$ from time to time.

I and other members have purchased from him. He has one up right now for 89$...seller: swisstickers

ETA: to add, they are the 17 Jewell version, nos and clean. I've had one running smooth and keep good time for about a year in my 5512. Seller is in Switzerland and ships fast. I have purchased from him 3-4 times.

Edited by woof*

I have a few 2846's and all have run well.

There's a seller on eBay that sells them brand new for 100$ from time to time.

I and other members have purchased from him. He has one up right now for 89$...seller: swisstickers

ETA: to add, they are the 17 Jewell version, nos and clean. I've had one running smooth and keep good time for about a year in my 5512. Seller is in Switzerland and ships fast. I have purchased from him 3-4 times.

Thanks guys.

Swisstickers is good. I bought the 2824 from him!