When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage 1675/5517/6538

studiocityanonymous

Okay, so I am absolutely in love with vintage Rolex models... the GMT, Submariner, and MilSub in particular. I have been looking a lot through the forum, and have heard a lot of names come up - Yuki, MBK, etc. But my question is, from all the trusted vendors, which vintage model offered is A) the most accurate, and B) the best for modding/creating a franken?

None are accurate, if you want to make a Franken you need to start with a proper case from phong ndt or Minh, then build from there.. Chose a model, buy a case set and then we can help you to get the right dial, hands movement and all that other good stuff

None are accurate, if you want to make a Franken you need to start with a proper case from phong ndt or Minh, then build from there.. Chose a model, buy a case set and then we can help you to get the right dial, hands movement and all that other good stuff

+1 to that. Before embarking on any of the above builds, you need to do a lot of reading and research. None of these are going to be inexpensive projects, so you need to decide how much you can afford to spend and what you can do with your budget. If you do it right, you will have a beautiful watch that you can wear with pride anywhere.

It's an option on the lower end, if you want to make one with a smaller budget. Please read about some builds that were done and make a decision about how much you want to spend in total, I would say a yuki case is preferable to tiger and prob not that much more $. Ndt and Minh are essentially the same, at mid - high end range and mostly for people who want to use lots of gen parts. Phong is the highest quality and price and so people using his cases generally want to build a super franken with lots of gen parts

Here's my 5517 done on a budget. Bought this one from Puretime (Angus). Then modded it with an ingod44 dial, T19 crystal and reshaped the crown guards. Also added an insert I found on the bay. Then aged everything slightly. To finish off, a NATO strap from Phoenix, the original MOD supplier.

8y2yse2u.jpg

4u9asevu.jpg

ebyhybu4.jpg

y6u4ahar.jpg

With a gen...

post-48510-0-28975500-1376809544_thumb.p

Wow...Fantastic!

Much better than lots of expensive build...

The only things i dont like is as Freddy said the case needs to be softened (but with time it will be softened) and also get rip of that rep insert. To my knowledge there is not a good replacement 60 min MOD insert available with the exception of RSC Bexley...the rep insert have too many tells

To my knowledge there is not a good replacement 60 min MOD insert available with the exception of RSC Bexley...the rep insert have too many tells

Thanks. Yeap, you're right. I haven't found a decent 60 min insert at a reasonable price. Most even have the wrong number of minute markers too. Below a NOS beauty a I saw for €11.5 k, a little out of my price range ;)

post-48510-0-19922000-1376822402_thumb.j

Just look at those serifs ...

post-48510-0-12273500-1376822434_thumb.j

post-48510-0-07647300-1376822448_thumb.j

Alternative would be a decent 5513 insert...

post-48510-0-24798100-1376822532_thumb.p

Jack, that's a great looking Milsub! Love the lume, care to share who did that, or did you manage to do that yourself? Amazing, can I send you mine for a relume? :)
Thanks :) It's not actually a relume, just tea to stain the markers, together with a few seconds (20 to 30) under a halogen lamp. Then a very thin topcoat of matt varnish. I'm sure you'd be able to do it too.