When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So you want a real 8 day wristwatch?

astonjenks

My good friend Mike, yes he of on the Bike fame sent me a really lovely 8 day movement to play with and it arrived early this morning, so like all of us watch nuts, I set to work to create a new wrist watch and the results are below. What makes this quite unique is this is truly an 8 day movement so you can wind it on a Monday and put it on a week later and it will still be running (well that's the theory) Have a look at the rear photo, that is one big main spring under that beautifully polished cover.

The last photo is next to my PAM 372 which is as you know 47mm, the 8 day is 48mm

Regards

AJ

post-48021-0-50622800-1376519322_thumb.j

post-48021-0-41202000-1376519346_thumb.j

post-48021-0-06488400-1376519373_thumb.j

post-48021-0-87492300-1376519407_thumb.j

Certainly a quirky dial! I've always like unique timepieces and this certainly unique. The eight day power reserve is wonderful, and I wish many of the Miyota, Sellita, Seagull etc movements had larger power reserves. I think it's about time the typical watch be it an entry-level gen (circa. $2k level) or super-rep had 4/5/6 day power reserves.

Morning chaps

So a quick change of attire shows her wearing black croc as suggested.

The second photo shows the rear of the case with a domed glass cover, this was required to clear the main spring housing and effectively means teh front and rear glass has been swapped around.

AJ

post-48021-0-47700800-1376547782_thumb.j

post-48021-0-71541500-1376547807_thumb.j

post-48021-0-53112700-1376547833_thumb.j

The Black Croc works really well with the dial. The watch looks amazing.

@mikeonabike - Yeah, love those older movements. One possible change though it's a fair bit of work, we could file off the original lugs from this case and weld on some new lugs at the 12 & 6 positions. Definitely a lot of work but the watch would look superb once done.

I have a lady in Europe that re enamels dials for me and it would be an easy job for her to reposition the numbers around the egg shaped dial, its just the work and expense, I will see how i get on with it before going that route.

Its fine so long as you look along the plane of your forearm not perpendicular!

I have a few for sale including this one, typically $5-1000 dollars depending on the movement. For example I'm building a repeater at the moment as well as a stunning Glasshute with a diamond in the hour hand.

PM me if you want photos details.

AJ