When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who's been following the Gilt discussion?

woof*

It's an interesting discussion, but where should this lead to?

Should be the definition be written down and everyone convicted when he uses the term "gilt dial" for a gilt printed dial?

As always it is interesting but ridiculous at the same time.

RC was accusing a dealer of calling his watch gilt when he thought it wasn't, the lighting was making his gilt text appear white in his pics.. The whole thing was deleted. Later that day another person was trying to ask if the watch he was selling in the market could be called gilt so he posted pics and asked for opinions. Again there was confusion and diff opinions, Rc felt like it was time to really nail down the term; what can be called a gilt dial and what can't. That's what it's all about. The two watches in question do have true gilt dials, something that took RC 3 days to figure out.

I was involved in the original too. That 5500 dial should be mated to a cal 1530, no question. Something was fishy about that AK... Ie it was made out of parts laying around. SP dials were always mated to 1530s, Precision and sans text had 1520s. There were several variations of cal 1520s for different markets, notably the US. Only me and one other cat pointed out that. I thought it was a bigger issue than the gilt dial.

It's funny that folks go nuts for dial variations and they tend to bypass the 5500s. There is a double-red text AK 5500 with only one known example. I think it sold for around $3500 last time. It's from 1957 and was likely a prototype. Only a few would ever have existed. No one in the vintage community seems to give a damn but show them a blue dial prototype Sub and they lose their minds.

I agree, I mentioned that and he responded with pics of a 1520.. I think you then said it had to be a 1530 if it was a sp dial but it died there when he was being accused of calling a "white" dial, gilt. So I guess it's ironic that RC decided to pick on him for that (being untrue, it is a gilt dial) when the real issue was that it should't be sporting that dial at all!

I would love to see that dr air king!