When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 Daytona Experts Movement Fitting

paneraiguy

Hi Guys,

So The time has come to look to do a heart transfer on my Spinmaster Daytona. I am sending it to the US to have this done by a forum member, however before I send it I need to look at which movement I will need to seek out, a V72 or a 7750.

By looking at the pics does anyone know what Will fit? I want a super reliable daily wearer, but want all chronos to work.

I don't mind spending the cash, most of it has been done I only want a good movement in it and would prefer to keep the dial.

Your advice is appreciated very much.

Cheers and thanks

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

If you want to swap movements, then v72. I believe Spin uses the DW case, so you might want to try to locate the thinner caseback as well.

No need to find another a7750 unless the current movement can't be serviced. You haven't said what the issue is with your current movement, but IMO you'll end up with better long-term reliability by servicing the existing movement, and the cost will be about the same as finding a new a7750 (which will probably still need to be serviced anyway).

Thanks mate, yes it is a DW case, and is manual wind only, I believe it is the thinner case? It was serviced before I got it, started running fast, then the crown came off in my hand. Really sick of mucking around, so thought I don't mind spending the cash to get a super good movement put in, as I wan tot keep this long term, if my man in the US can fix it to as good as an original v72 or 7750 then that's fine, but IMO I think a branded movement would be better.

Oh and the stop watch doesn't work anymore.

I would like to use the stop watch with out worrying it will break.

Sounds like yours needs a good service. Hopefully your watch guy can look at the movement, and figure out what's going wrong. A new A7750 will probably need a service so that's another expense. A Val 72 is a great movement, but you're talking about a significant step up in price between the A7750 and a Val72. also unless recently serviced, the 72's are all old movements and it will probably need a service as well.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money for a Val72 unless you were building a real super franken with all gen parts, and that's a whole 'nother story

paneraiguy - DW's case can be made to fit either movement &, if cost is not an object, the v72 is the only way to go. I would definitely have it fully overhauled & properly adjusted if you want reliability for the next 5-7 years (when the next overhaul should be performed). In any case, I would swap out your rep Triplock crown for a gen (it should fit the same stem as long as the stem length is ok).

If you want to go with a v72, my best advice is to throw this case away, start a new project, and go with a Phong case.

IMHO, putting a valued movement into that case is not a good idea, because after you will to change it for something more accurate. I don't talk about the current crown, pushers, bezel, etc.

And also not talking about the fact you will need a new dial, and hands. If you want a better dial, gen dial is a must ($1800+), or Minh dial ($1500 ?). The only cheap alternative in DW, but you already have one for 7750.

If there is something wrong with this A7750, it probably can be serviced. If you really want to upgrade your current project, you should think about gen 703 crown, 7030 tube, and T21 crystal. Reshaping the back of the middle case (at the crown position) should be a good idea, too.

If you want to jump to something better, you should think about the way you can start another project ;)

PS: v72 is not "reliable", unless you are ready to spend extra $$$ to have a complete service / overhaul. Also, it is much easier to break it than the 7750 workhorse.

PS2: Not even sure if you can fit a v72 into a 7750 designed case, will probably need some extra work... Not worth it IMO

Also change the bezel to a better one with the correct number spacing i.e. 110. I changed mine out for a watchNY 6263 bezel. Not real expensive and much improved.

Gen crown,reworked case,gen T-21 crystal, better bezel and a serviced movement and you should be good to go, and those mods won't break the bank